Recommendations for herb/veg garden in area w/ indirect sun

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

The area I have available for planting gets indirect sunlight for most of the day, with a few hours (2-3) of direct sun in the afternoon. I would like to plant either an herb or vegetable garden there, but my choices would have to be limited to plants that can thrive under these conditions. Anyone have any recommendations?

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

I've grown both parsley and basil in an area between houses that only gets 2 hours of direct sun per day with no problem. Don't know about any other herb a I grow most of mine in pots in pretty much full sun. Vegetables might be a bit tougher but you would most certainly have more success with leafy vegetables such as luttuce, swiss chard, etc. than with tomatoes or peppers or squash.

Rich

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

i would try Swiss Chard. Plant it once, harvest again and again till it freezes.

Worth a try.

LarryD

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think it was the Territorial Seed catalog where I read that runner beans can tolerate more shade than other beans (bush or pole). You might give them a try.

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you all for you helpful advise. Basil is definately a go. I'm not sure I've ever had Swiss Chard, so I would have to see if I like it first, What would be an example of a runner bean? I would like to grow oregano, cilantro, dill, and anise, garlic to name a few. Peas would be super, if I can do it.

Elaphe G

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Territorial has 'Dwarf Bees', 'Painted Lady', and 'Scarlet Emperor' in their catalog this year. They had this to say about runner beans under culture information:

"Phaseolus coccineus: Native to Mexico, the runner bean is another member of the genus Phaseolus and is different from other beans in the fact that it will tolerate cool, partially shaded areas. Runner beans are easy to grow, but are slow to produce flowers in hot dry weather. Unlike other beans, runner bean flowers require pollination to set pods, and are best grown well watered and mulched to keep their roots cool. Grow as you would pole beans except for Dwarf Bees which grows as a bush with short runners. Gorgeous when used as an annual landscaping ornamental. For fresh eating, pick when the beans are just starting to form in the pod, and slice before cooking."

Swiss chard is a green that, to me at least, tastes very much like spinach. I like it in salads, or "wilted" with a hot bacon dressing (the way my mom used to serve it).

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Dill and green onions (chives) do great in shade. I have those three in a pot that I keep under a roofed porch and they seem to like the shade better than the sun. Matter fact they are growing so fast I can't keep up with them. I also have a yard long bean that I'm trying one in shade one in full sun and I can tell very little difference between the two.

Clayton, NC(Zone 7b)

Well dill and green onions I definatly want, so I'll add them. Please keep the ideas coming this helps immeasurable.

Dexter, NY(Zone 5a)

You might think of a tomatillo I understand they can tolerate much more shade than a tomato.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had sage, greek oregano, thyme and tarragon in partial shade for 4 years and they did fine. At most they got 2 hours of direct sun, the rest was filtered and/or just shade. (Note: NOT full, dense shade!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.