Wisteria help needed

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Are you successful at growing wisteria and if so what is your secret?
What are the basic needs of a wisteria... ?

I'm well on my way to becoming a wisteria serial killer.

This is my 3rd victim, I've been watching it closely and nothing I do is helping.
Yesterday I swore I heard the wisteria death rattle when I passed by.
I'm in zone 9b and I have seen many grown here that are just amazing.

Dovey

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hmmm...wisteria are so dang hardy I can't imagine why your having a hard time getting one to live.
Is it getting enough sun and water? (stupid question I know.........)
As with any plant the first year is the crutial one for getting them established.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

My 1st Wisteria... maybe not enough sun.
My second... nice sunny location and watered regularly... it never bloomed and finally died.
I dunno what happened.
This third one has been in a pot for over 1 year, it never flourished, never bloomed but lived.
We just moved and I was planning to put it in the ground but now I wonder if I should go buy a new one and start healthy, rather than trying to nurse this one back to life.

I've seen them growing along the hot, dry and smoggy freeway... how much more neglected can that be?

That's why I thought there was some sort of wisteria growing secret *S*

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-) Not blooming is the biggest problem of wsiteria grown from seed rather than cuttings......mine has taken 12 years but I get my frist blooms this year :-)
If you decide to buy another, make sure you buy one in bloom, so you know it is capable of blooming and has the color you want.
They like a good dose of high phospate fert now and again.....but really do normally thrive on neglect once established that is.
Good luck :-)

Marc

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Marc,
Always hopeful... I will give it another shot and look for one in bloom.
Cheers
dovey

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My pleasure...although I wan't really much help. :-)
Try posting in the vines and climbers forum and see if someone a bit more knowledgable can give you better advise.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

cool.. I missed the forum
thanks

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-) My pleasure

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi Dovey,

I see that this post is a few months old, and wondered how your wisteria is coming along? Did anyone give you advise that was the saving grace? I've got a sad looking wisteria too and was hoping to learn what I can do for it. If you had any secrets, can you share?

Thanks so much! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.