What looks good with Peonies?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone -

I'm new to peony gardening and need some help with adding some plants to my peony beds. Since peonies die back each year, I was wondering if I could plant an evergreen ground cover in the beds or will it hurt the peonies. The beds are around the perimeter of our pool which is the focal point of the back yard so I wanted to plant something that would be green while the peonies are dormant.

Also, what other plants or shrubs do you mix with your peonies?

Thanks, Missi

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

You can plant ground cover near, the peonies, just dont use a crowding one right on top of them. With a bit of pruning you can keep the ground cover clear of the crowns.

I like to combine peonies with plants which flower in mid to late summer (aster, for example) and with plants which bloom in early spring (allium, tulips, etc). This gives color from spring through fall. The peonies will with time create good background shrubs for the asters. Initially, the 1-2 thin stems are no real "looker".

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks kd -

This is helpful and I really like asters so that sounds wonderful. I think I'm going to try a little ground cover and keep it trimmed to see if I like it.

Thanks for the helpful advice, Missi

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Missi: Good question and I was hoping you would get more answers. I have a grouping of 3 peonies right by my front door. They look wonderful in bloom and the foliage looks nice during the warm season, but the foliage dies back pretty early and I am left with this big empty spot for half the year.

I need to decide if I want to move them or do something to improve the winter interest in that area. I am thinking about trying some evergreen perennials such as Candytuft. Another option might be to plant some cool weather annuals such as Pansies in the fall. I did stick three small artificial Christmas trees there last winter and that helped for a few months. I also have considered moving a pot with a small Holly or Conifer into that area during the winter.

- Brent

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

if you have a grouping of 3 peonies, what about a dwarf evergreen conifer in the middle, and maybe interplant with Kale during the winter season ?

Here is a diagram...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/kdjoergensen/gardening/gardenwebforums/peonyplanting.jpg

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen
Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the suggestion. My particular case is a little odd. My mother gave me 3 or 4 different types of plants, mostly in plastic grocery bags. When I planted the peonies I thought that they were Lily of the Valley plants. Opps! So they are only spaced about a foot apart and the spot is a little too shady. They look healthy and they bloom their hearts out but they do like to lean towards the sun. So they should be moved at some point, but I just want to pick a permanent home for them this time.

Below is a picture of them just starting to bloom last year.

- Brent

Thumbnail by Brent_In_NoVa
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Love those peonies Brent! You also had some good thoughts in your posts.

Missi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.