Desperate measures for ailing, aphid infested gardenia?

Lantana, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been attempting to save this one particular gardenia now for *weeks*. It hasn't done well for me from day one. I repotted and treated with soil acidifier, removed from full sun to partly shady location, treated with Bayer Advanced Garden systemic insect and disease control, sprayed with neem oil solution, and I can't get rid of the aphids. All of the new leaves are damaged, twisted, contorted and not healthy. It's about 2 1/2 ' tall and I am considering pruning it severely in order to give it a fresh start. It was a bit leggy to begin with, and I am also hoping that this might make it bushier. Would pruning be a good thing to do? Any other suggestions? The leaves became larger and greener when I moved it to partial shade, but then that's also when the aphids moved in and took over. I'm thinking it stressed over the location change and might be happier with more sun, but maybe I wasn't keeping it moist enough. I have 3 other potted gardenia's and they are all doing very well for me, (one with 22 buds about to open! Yippee!), so I really appreciate any advice about the problem child. I bought it from Yuccado back in January and had such high hopes. The last resort before sticking it in the "plant graveyard" out back with the rest of my failures would be to plant it in the ground and see if it does better there. I keep my collection in pots so that I can bring them with me when I move. The thought of having to dig up and move shrubs is a wee bit too intimidating so I would prefer to keep it in the pot...

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Liila,
How strange... I have never seen an aphid on my gardenias. Even when the near by roses were infested.
My gardenias do best with a little shade (even though the tag says full sun - tags are generic)
A biologist friend told me that when aphids feed, they put out a pheromone that attracts the lady bugs. So in the mean time while you watch for the Ladybugs to arrive spray your plant off every day for ten days.
Aphids have a 10 day life cycle from egg to maturity and the relaying of new eggs. The two working together should nearly irradiate the aphids.

Dovey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.