Planting Elephant Ear

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How deep should I plant this beast? When I bought it last year it was just the bottom portion. It grew beautifully and in the fall I cut it down and dug it out. After winter storage this is what I have. Not sure if I should bury it completely or just up to the green growth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Toni

Thumbnail by toni5735
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Plant it atleast 4"-6" deep (from top of bulb). I would let no more than the very tip of the growth stick out.
Avoid planting elephant ears too shallowly.

This is going to be a great plant.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness....that's going to be some deep hole!

The leaves were increadible on this last year and I had it planted in the smallest of spaces next to some pavers.

Thanks kdjoergensen!

Toni

Corte Madera, CA

wow, toni. please update us with photos. i've always admired elephant ears and i hope to enjoy them here at home soon. i planted three much smaller bulbs, and there is some growth.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Will do Moonglow!

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

whoa!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow! That is going to be huge. When you dug it up last fall, how did you store it? I once had a problem with my Elephant ears over drying and since then have left most of chaf on for winter storage. What I dig and store usually does'nt look anything like what I originally put in the ground; more like a big clump of roots than a bulb. Did you just keep peeling layers off until you got down to the bulb?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Gemini_sage!

I cut it down about 6 inches from the ground and dug it out. Shook off some of the soil that was adhering to the roots and then I just plopped it in a bucket and put it in the basement. I really didn't put much thought into it because I was soo tired from digging out cannas all day. The basement temp is usually around 50 in the winter.

When I took it out last week it looked all dried up where the stalk/stem used to be so I started peeling the dried stuff off and found all the new shoots. I was perplexed because this was my first time with an Elephant Ear and I've never seen anything that big! I know how to plant cannas with new growth but this was weird.

Let me tell you it took a mighty deep hole to bury that baby! I sure hope it'll grow.

Toni

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

What kind of elephant ear tuber is that?

Emily

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Wal-Mart! They were half price $2.50 last spring.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Which species of elephant ear is it?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I have no idea. They were loose in a box at Wal-Mart. I've seen them this year also. Next to all their other bulbs/tubers.

T.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

At that price, I would be on Colocasia esculenta.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh don't worry, just do whatever you did last year and that baby will grow, and huge to. With Elephant Ears, more water, more fertilizer, more better! I started with those(Colocosia esculenta) from Wal-mart and have fallen in love with them-now I want every variety I can get my hands on. I tried 'Black Magic' last year and it's fantastic(plus 3 other Colocosia varieties). This year I'm getting in to the Alocasias and just have 2 so far. So toni, if you get the Elephant Ear fever, by next spring I can set you up!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's so sweet of you gemini_sage! That ole 'Black Magic' sounds bewitching!

The pic was taken August 7 last year and the elephant ear looks like a baby yet but it had been in the ground for 3 months already. I only wish my growing season was longer because by October it was way past the fence and the leaves were gigantic! Just when it had reached its glory I had to chop it down!

Maybe it'll grow a little faster this year being that it already has sprouted.

Toni

Thumbnail by toni5735
Corte Madera, CA

and who is that CUTIE?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Evening Moonglow!

That CUTIE was Scooter who was my baby for almost 13 years. He was very sick with liver disease and we finally had to put him down a month after the pic was taken. He couldn't eat anything. It was heartbreaking. I swore I would never do that again. I miss him. This was HIS yard.

He had a good life. Very pampered very spoiled and very much loved.

So sorry for the downer Moonglow.

Toni

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Holy cow! I didn't realize Colocasia esculenta tubers reached that size! I have a "black magic" that I've been growing inside since last September and I think it's outgrown the 12" pot I put it in as roots are growing out the bottom of the pot. Looking forward to seeing how large the tuber is.

How hard are these to split into separate plants? I think I have at least 5 sets of plants growing. In the last 6 weeks, the plant has put out 5 spathes! I think I've seen 7 in the last few months. Anyone else had theirs spathe so much? I fertilize with 10-10-20 every two weeks and give it close to two gallons of water every week (it sits in a large saucer).

Haven't been to wallyworld in a while so might have to go check out their bulb selection.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Emilyrasmus, I had a weird experience with my 'Black Magic'last fall. I had it in a whiskey barrell and it got huge, but in fall when I dug it out after frost, there was no bulb, just fibrous roots with lots of babie plants. Was going to store it with the cannas and other Elephant Ears, but since there was no bulb I just kept it in a pot. So don't be suprised if there's not what you're expecting in the dirt. I was amazed that such a relatively small root system supported such a large plant. In the spring it started out as a 1 gallon potted plant and by the end of summer was over 5' tall, so you've got the potential for a doozy this year!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know how anyone could ever see or grow an ear and not be totally in love with them! I think if, like me, you are fascinated by the huge leaves and the ease of growing, you would have to love these! I think two of my favorites for appearance or Illustris and Black Magic. For size I love the Xanthosomas and good old esculenta. In fact I have yet to find one I don't love! Add all those in with some canna and bananas and you can at least feel, a little bit, like your gardens are a tropical paradise. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree. Last summer was my first with an elephant ear and I will grow them from now on! I've always grown cannas for that tropical look (I need it here in the city) . I also love height in my garden for added interest. Another great reason to love those giant leaves is that they hide the next door neighbors sometimes unsightly yard! You know what they say about fences!

Here's a picture of my living fence last summer.

Thumbnail by toni5735
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Toni, your living fence was amazing! The tall Nicotiana are such a nice contrast to the hot colors and the form is so pretty. I bet the fragrance was wonderful to.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks gemini_sage!

It was my first year for the Nicotiana too. I started them from seed and they were soo tiny when I planted them. I NEVER imagined they would grow so tall! They smelled wonderful. I started them again this year.

Toni

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OMG! That is awesome!! You did a great job covering what is behind there and the colors rock!! I know what you are missing though. You need castor beans. LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I've had them too! Didn't plant any last year though. I still have a jar of seed left from about 3-4 years. Think they're still good?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful toni!!! What an inspiration and you have a heck of an eye for color and design. I just bet the flowering tobacco was wonderful in the evenings.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You can always test a few in a damp paper towel inside a ziploc baggy. Set it somewhere warm. I like to take a razor and flip off a small piece of the shell before I start them. Mine come up in a few days. So, did you forget you like those? LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh Badseed....I never forget what I like....I just run out of room!

I try to cram in as much as I can every year. I've got the jar of seeds sitting on the table looking at me. Do I have room even to start them.? My back porch where the lights are set up for all the seedlings looks like some mad scientist's laboratory! That little voice in my head is saying "it's still early enough to get them
started...you know you want to".

Okay you convinced me!

They're in the baggie and on top of the fridge. Now where am I going to put them this year? Always the same dilemma!

Toni

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL I guess I am just a bad influence. :)

You can always strip off the lower leaves and grow stuff under them. Hey, they will block your view of the house behind you.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Excellent idea! Hope those seeds aren't too old.

T.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

As you can probably tell, I have a particular fondness for anything that gets huge! One year I grew Castor beans(they got taller than the house, with some leaves that measured nearly 3' across) with Elephant Ears underneath. Looked like rain forest in the middle of Ky! When friends with children visited the kids loved it, pretending they were in the jungle and using a leaf for an umbrella. Really cool to see kids drawn to the garden and asking questions about plants-love to nurture the gardening bug in future generations.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I hear ya gemini!

I don't have kids of my own but the neighbor across the alley has 4. I'm teaching her oldest daughter (11) how to plant seeds. She's soo excited about it and every day I get a report on what sprouted!

The first time I grew castor beans my brother came over and just stood in the yard staring at them with awe. He said "they look almost pre-historic"!

Do you know if there are different varieties of castor beans? I'm curious.

Toni

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh yes! The University of KY aboretum had a couple of varieties a few years ago, both different from mine. One had dusty rose colored stems and blooms and the other had red stems and blooms-seed heads-both really nice.
If you have any extra nicotiana seedlings, I'd love to work out a trade with you. I don't get much light in the house and have'nt gotten myself set up to do much seed starting yet(and I sure do miss it!).

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Gemini_sage:

I would love to send you some nicotiana. You're going to have to tell me how to go about it because I'm new at this. I don't know how to pack live plants and how to ship them. I need instructions!

Toni

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

There are most definately different castor bean plants! I have seen all green, all burgundy, a combination of both and others that are classified by their flowers. My favorite is and has been carmentcita red. I have heard rumor of a vining castor but have yet to see it. Hmph.

I do have kids. Six of them to be exact. LOL I know, what was I thinking? I am still thinking, room for two more. hehehehhe My girls, like me are amazed at the huge leafed plants. I make sure to fill the yard with banana, cannas, castors and ears. I just put up three arbors to make them a tunnel covered in gourds right next to the pond. I hope it turns out well and does not fall down. LOL You have seen nothing, until you see it through the eyes of a child. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Badseed:

Who sells the different varieties of Castor beans? All I know is the ones I had were like a burgundy /green color. I'de love to see pictures of the others.

You must be a very healthy and patient woman to have six kids and still want more! It was not meant for me...... too high risk. Therefore I spoil the neighbors kids.

Did you say a "pond"? You must have alot of room in your backyard! All I have for water is a hose!

Toni

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Toni. Theres a great tutorial on packing live plants on the trading forum that KimGaither put together with pics of every step. I used her suggestions with great success. I was shipping potted plants with soil, and she gave me the heads up on saving $ on shipping, but still protecting the quality of the plants. Is there anything you're looking for? Or I can send you postage, but if you have'nt done it before the trading is great fun. Oh, I could send you an Imperial Taro! Colocosia esculenta 'Illustris' has blackish spots between the veins, kind of giving the effect of a stained glass window or a mosiac-very cool. Instead of a bulb, you start with a small plant, and it gets big fast. I also have pitiful looking 'Black Magic' babies that people are telling me will probably suprise me(I did'nt store them properly this winter-the suprise of having no bulb to save threw me), and I'd be glad to send you one of those to.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

gemini_sage:

You have mail!

T.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Toni, you could probably post in seed trading and ask about different varieties of castors. I am sure people would be happy to share with you. The only ones I have now are Carmencita Red.

My old pond was 11x13 feet and I dug a new one 10' round and filled in the old one. I put it up closer to my house so the kids could have some back yard with grass. We only have 1/4 acre which has filled up nicely. LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Badseed. I didn't even think to look it up in Plantfiles also. I'll go pay a visit.

"We only have 1/4 acre" That sounds ideal to me...just the right size for your own little paradise!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.