alfalfa

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I just did a search and read about alfalfa meal as a fertilizer. I went to the store and picked up a huge bag - the guy there was telling me that alfalfa meal is not a balanced fertilizer and I should use it on roses; saying that for my other shrubs/veggies/etc, I should get a more balanced fertilizer. Is this true? What sorts of things do you all use alfalfa meal/tea on?
Thanks for any info!
-Mara

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm going to use alfalfa tea on my lawn :-) -C

Mara,
Alfalfa is great because it's very high in nitrogen, which gives plants a boost. It also decomposes over time in the soil, so the nitrogen is sustained. It's not a balanced fertilizer, but I use it on everything! I usually mix it with composted manure. I also use a compost tea every week-10 days in the growing season, and I'll be adding alfala to this tea after reading the posts on this forum.
When you mix composted manure (never fresh) with alfalfa, they work together to make nitrogen and other nutrients available to the plant. It's a slow release, too. Add some rich compost to the mixture and you'll improve your soil as well as feed your plants and keep down weeds. If you don't have a source of composted manure in your area you can buy it in bags at most garden or home improvement stores. If you can get it from a pasture or farm, you're lucky. Just be sure that the animal was fed with organic food so that you don't get any pesticides or chemicals in your manure. Also, some manure has weed seeds in it, but if it's well composted, that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a good planting trick: dig your hole for your plant and then put in a shovel of alfalfa, compost, manure mix. Plant as usual. You won't be sorry!.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2005 11:35 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Pixiedish, thank you for that information. I really needed it right now. I'll go get some alfalfa meal to mix with the mulch from the fair grounds. No, it isn't strictly organic but that isn't a concern to me as I realize theat would take more effort than I have the time or energy to give and would keep me from getting a lot of good items .

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I use a combo of alfalfa tea and fish emulsion, sometimes together but more often alternating.

If you'll go up to the "Garden Terms" tab at the top, and search for alfalfa, you will find a breakdown of all the nutrients in it. Cannot remember now if it's under alfalfa, alfalfa tea, or what...

This message was edited Apr 18, 2005 11:01 AM

Darius,
I, too, used the fish emulsion with the compost tea! Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, my dogs liked it, too! I just couldn't keep them out of the beds after that. LOL!
Another thing that's great is powdered kelp. It really kicks the tea up a notch!

Caledonia, MN

Ruth Stout who sort of invented the notion of mulching almost everything with old hay (perhaps alfalfa) said it should be better before it goes through the horse. It's good as a compost booster and a good general tonic for the garden. Compost tea, fish emulsion and kelp are great. (And good stuff, not the Miracle Gro steroid making less flavorful produce.)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I adore Ruth Stout!

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Thanks. So I don't need to worry if I put it on a variety of things?

No worries!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.