Best Crabapple

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I would like to plant a crabapple in my front yard, not too big with a weeping or spreading habit. I am looking at "Mary Potter", "Louisa", "Katherine", and "Tina". I like pale pink flowers, single or double; or pink fading to white. My first choice was "M.P." but now I read that it is not very disease resistant. Now I think "Louisa" ? Maybe "Katherine"? Help! Any other selections would be appreciated.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2005 9:48 AM

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

Ivy-
Two years ago, I planted a Sugar Tyme c.a. ( Malus 'Sutyzam') in our front yard. I was concerned about disease resistance also, becasue we put this tree about two feet away from where our old crab apple had lived (until it met Mr. Saw two days earlier). The old tree was original with the house (circa 1972) and had absolutly no disease resistance, or leaves come July 1st. Anyway-- Sugar Tyme has shown no disease. It has buds that are pink when closed, and open white. The fruit is about 1/2" and holds through in winter :) It also has a more rounded habitat. Should be about 12-15 feet high. I would take a picture for you, but we are still a few weeks away from bloom. If you want a picture of it with tiny leaves, I can post it for you tomorrow, when its day time!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Roseofkaren! That would be great. Your tree must be really strong. Someone else I talked to recommended Sugartyme as well. I would love a picture in bloom when it starts blooming, if it's not too much trouble.

We have a neighbor here in Ct. whose tree has the same problem as your old tree. No leaves and it looks awful by summer. Even the bark looks awful. Everybody lives so close together here, I'm sure a tree in our yard would catch every possible disease unless it was really resistant.

It's funny, I think I'm trying to recapture my childhood with this tree. When I was about 11, we moved to Kankakee, Illinois and in the front yard was a beautiful crabapple. I would be willing to bet it was Mary Potter, but never have been sure. In my 11 year old mind, it bloomed pink AND white, but this may not be true. I found "Katherine" which blooms pink then fades to white, but I haven't seen any of these in real life, just on the computer. The tree hung over a fence next to the front door, and a lilac was right next to it. It was a wonderful yard with peonies and a climbing tree. You could hide under the lilac and no one could find you. That crabapple was literally covered with pink and white blooms and/or buds for two or three weeks.

Thanks again!

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

i would be happy to get you a picture as soon as it blooms (buds too). I can't get enough of the scent. I'll walk onto the front stoop in the evening and just stand there trying to take it all in. In my mind, there has never been a perfume made that comes close to the wonderful smell of a crabapple in bloom. Your story about being little and remembering trees made me smile. It's funny what we remember. Funny, too, that even at 11 you were aware of the plants & trees around you!--A gardner for sure :) Even to this day, when I smell a bridal wreath spirea, it feels like I'm five years old again in our old backyard. Maybe I should plant some in my backyard as a "Fountain of Youth"

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I think I'm leaning toward a Malus Floribunda. I think this is the one we had when I was a kid.

Everything I read says it is the best for flowering. Some say it is not completely disease resistant, but the scientific websites say it is the variety they used to breed all the new hybrids and they have isolated the gene for resistance from this plant.

I think I will believe the scientists.

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

Ivy-
my tree will not bloom this year (camera shy?).
I am so sad. It's leafed out beautifully, but no blossoms.
Sorry for the fruitless wait.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Roseof Karen- I really appreciate the thought. I'm so sorry about your tree. They say that sometimes they bloom every other year. It will be magnificent next year!

I ended up getting the Malus Floribunda. As soon as I saw it I knew it was the one I had in Illinois. I will have to prune it to size every year.

I still have to plant it. We had such a terrible windstorm this week, people didn't leave their homes for 2 days. The wind knocked over my beautiful new tree- in a 10 gallon pot! It is O.K. but I was really freaked out. I haven't seen wind like that since Hurricane Gloria.

Thanks again!

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

I purchased a pink crabapple tree for my front yard. While in transport one of the branches got pulled away from the stem but not totally separated, does anything know if this can be repaired and will it heal back on to the tree? Thank you for any info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.