Any tips for Callery Pears?

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

I just put this tree in this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had any tricks or tips to keeping it healthy and happy. Pyrus calleryana 'Cleveland Select'.

I have found some info on a few other varieties, but not the Cleveland Select. Anyone else growing this one?

Thanks,
Nick

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

My mother had one planted in her front yard in Fremont, CA. She had to have it cut down because it kept dropping branches, a habit found in all Callery pears. I didn't plant in my yard because I had apple trees and roses. Callery pears are very susceptible to fire blight which can be passed on to other members of the rose family.

What I could find on 'Cleveland Select' was not very positive over all. It is an excellent flowering tree with very glossy leaves. Other varieties were mentioned as being more disease resistant. They didn't do well as a street tree in trials conducted in Cleveland, Ohio. Over a 25 year period, 50% of the trees had been removed, most due to storm damage.

University of Michigan Extension says it's a narrow pyramidal tree about 15 feet wide. It may also be known as Glen's Form. It is similar to 'Chanticleer'

It does have beautiful fall color. If fire blight is a problem in your area, keep other rose members from blooming until the fire blight is gone.

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Betty.

We haven't had much of a problem with fire blight since around 2000. I have seen no signs on my neighbors apples for the past few years. His trees are a few acres away. I don't have many roses, and the few I do have are 30 or so feet away.

I was initially attracted to it's color, so I am hoping it delivers.

Thanks for the info.

Nick

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

The nearest flowering pear trees with fire blight were between 2 and 3 miles from us. Fire blight is spread from blooming plant to blooming plant by bees. I fought fire blight for 3 years until the city pruned those Callery pear trees. I lost 2 apple trees and 1 Medlar plus countless branches. I hope you have better luck.

It does have wonderful color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.