Redbud (Cercis canadensis)

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

I just picked one of these up from (gasp) Home Depot. It looks good and healthy, but it hasn't even started to bud yet. Has anyone else been having a late bloom with these this year? Also, I am not sure what variety it is, any clues on how to tell in it's dormant stage?

Thanks,
Nick

(Cross-posted in the MI Forums too)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

If it was northern grown, don't worry too much if it is not actively growing yet. And I hope the Home Depot supplier used a hardy northern provenance (i.e. it's genetic ancestry evolved in a cold climate) because redbuds are notorious for not liking to be moved more than 100-200 miles north of their ancestral homes.

Guy S.

Thanks Guy.

That was what I had figured initially, but I just wanted a second and third opinion. I will keep a close eye on it. If I don't see anything healthy within a few weeks, I will try to get a refund.

Nick

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

My redbuds never even bud until about the time you think they are dead. I pruned some crossing branches two weeks ago (yes, I know you aren't supposed to prune until after bloomtime) and they are blooming thier heads off inside. Give the tree a scratch test- scrape the bark gently with your thumbnail, if it is green underneath, it's alive; if it's brown, time to get your refund. They really are very slow and literally look dead right until they bloom.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

my Redbud , I think it is Forest Pansy, is still in the bud stage, but the clusters are spreading and if this warmer than normal weather continues it will be in full bloom in a week. DonnaS

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Redbuds in my zone have just come out his week; and it's this early only because we've had some unusually warm weather for a few days.

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

Nick-
If you save your register receipt and the tag from the tree, Home Depot will refund your money on a dead item. You do have to dig it up and bring in the dearly departed, however. Hopefully, it won't come to that! :)

Thanks for all your help guys. I am going to hold out hope here. She seems to be healthy enough. And it is nearly 30degrees today, so I am not in a huge rush for it to bloom.

I will let you all know when and if it pops.

Thanks

Nick

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

My parents have one in Brighton, and it isn't even thinking about waking up yet.

Sandy Hook, CT(Zone 6a)

mine is just showing buds today....I picked it up at HD's end of the year sale last fall, was afraid it was dead until I saw those little buds today.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

mine in zone 5a has had me scared every year I've had it. It hasn't bloomed yet, but there are tiny leaf buds. I got it in a trade as a seedling, and hope someday it will bloom.

Well guys, shouldn't it be blooming by now? If not, should it be leafed out? I have done the "scratch test" and the wood is green from trunk to top. No blooms or leaves... I am not sure, but it looks healthy otherwise.

I am out of ideas. She gets plenty of water and full sun... :-

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Nick

Sandy Hook, CT(Zone 6a)

mine has teeny tiny 1/2"leaves right now...no advice sorry

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Are you in the part of MI that just had snow in late April? If so, and certainly as long as there's green under the bark, I'd continue to be patient.

Mick,
We did have some yucky snow and real cold temps in April. I will be patient... It just looks so out of place in my yard. All twiggy when everything else is leafing and blooming. :-P

Thanks,
Nick

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I feel your pain! It's only been in the last 10 days (since we finally had some rain) that many things are really starting in my garden.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Flowers first, then leaves. If your tree is new it may not bloom the first year. That is probably what is taking so long. Don't worry, the leaves will come later, but you may just have to wait and see. Trees sometimes don't bloom well after transplanting. The good news is: you will probably get blooms next year. Redbuds are pretty quick after planting to grow and start blooming.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I have one that was just shipped bare root this spring, and I planted it maybe three weeks ago. It did not bloom and has about 5 little bitty leaves on it. It looks significantly better after each rain, so I am thinking it wants as much moisture as it can get. My father has a mature redbud that is in full bloom right now, just a couple leaves starting to show. Hope this helps.

Thanks Sylvi.. I will hang in there.. she looks healthy under the bark.. and the limbs are supple. We shall see.

Nick

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I got a 5' weeping Redbud in last spring when we had so much rain the flooding made it on national news. That tree put out a couple of leafs, 1 bud then eventually they all dropped. I left it till this spring hoping for the best but she was gone. I do believe she drowned. Too wet and cold for too long.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Good point. All things in moderation, including water.

Well guys, still no leaves yet. :( Daytime temps are in the 60's.. nights have been low 40s... All the wood looks nice and healthy. Green under the bark everywhere I test, and the branches are nice and supple... So now what? :(

Nick

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

take it back to HD and get another one or refund.

ugh.. i was afraid of that :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.