Pruning lilacs to maintain smaller size

Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi :)

I just bought a house in late October, and although the former owners are proud of their landscaping contributions, some of their choices don't quite "fit" (like the two forsythias planted 2 feet away from the foundation and 3 feet below my windows).

Anyway, they seem to have planted 4 Monge lilacs in a row next to a chain link fence. They're about 2 feet away from the fence, and about 8 feet away from a nearby tree. They're about 3, 3 1/2 feet away from each other along the fence. I can post a photo if it helps.

My question is, can I prune the lilacs to keep them about 5-6 feet tall, and about 3-4 feet wide? Would that hurt the health of the lilac or make it produce fewer flowers?

Or should I just try to dig them up and find other places for them?

Kelly

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Digging up will cause they not to flower for a few years, in most cases. If you're going to prune, and it can be done, prune right after they flower.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

They recommend pruning only one third of the branches each year til you have them all pruned, so that you won't mess up all the flowers for the next summer. You can prune anywhere below an existing blossom and it will force the plant to out more side shoots and get bushier.

Gwen who just this week went to Hulda Klager's lilac farm twice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.