Canna foliage 'Tropicanna'

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This of course, is the famous 'Tropicanna' aka 'Phaison' canna. Many people dislike the orange flowers, but the foliage is so incredibly beautiful that it is worth growing just for the leaves. Even here in Northern CA they look tattered in January, but when the weather starts to warm up, the leaves shoot out and up very quickly, getting 6-7' tall. 'Tropicanna' is very aggressive in the ground and must be shovel-pruned to prevent it from overrunning other plants. Unlike many cannas, it actually prefers a partial shade location, as the leaves burn with too much sun.

Thumbnail by jkom51
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

thank you so much for the beautiful pictures

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I wish it would get agressive here in south TX, lol.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I love it! I would be happy to trade some of your shovel prunings for an original watercolor, if you are interested? Caitlin

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't have any extras right now, unfortunately -- just divided and planted some a couple of months ago. I will contact you next time it needs dividing, probably not until late fall or early spring next year.

I've seen this one at Lowe's Garden Center. Beautiful plant!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I agree with what jkom said about the leaves burning in the sun. I planted mine in a south-facing bed and some of the leaves have faded a bit. In the last month, it's put out 3 blooms and last count I saw 8 plants from a single, very large rhyzome. I've heard the seeds are sterile since this is a hybrid.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I just got one of these--couldn't resist those leaves! Put it in a bed that get's just a bit of shade, so I may have to move it........don't want it getting too crispy!

Thornton, IL

Wow, I might've hit the mother lode! I love this plant, orange flowers and all. I have a south facing bed, with some shade, next to the hose, and I really need some height in there. This could be the ONE!!

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, let me tell you about MY "Mother lode!" Just got back f/a weekend in Dexter, Michigan. Went to Bordine's nursery, and found a 'Stuttgart' on SALE for $10. =0 Took out the rocks and cleared some weight for packing (was in the water garden, submersed), and found TWO rhizomes! I'm SO, SO, SO happy!

Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I planted 6 ragged ones in containers from HD in early Sept. (Although I paid full price I considered this a "rescue".) Two containers were in full sun ALL day near pool, on hot concrete; the other in full afternoon sun most of day with morning and late afternoon bright shade. Although it was so hot, dry, with usual extremely intense sun both locations have done very well with no folage burning. I drip watered daily. They produced lots of babies and are now in greenhouse still flowering and more babies. Anyone know why they didn't burn? (September sun/heat with additional very high winds and 50 mph gust is almost as intense as August sun/heat.) I'm planning on moving them to their permanent location, possibly in ground, in the spring. They will be in full all day sun with full due south exposure all day. Am I making a mistake putting them in this location in regards to sunburn? Thanks, geekgranny BTW.. I'm looking for Stuttgart. I may,(not sure...depends on how much they produce this winter) have a few Tropicannas for trade if anyone interesed. Thanks

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Good morning! I'm bumping this up to tell all you Canna lovers that a group of us are over on Dave's Garden Forum trying to get a new Canna Forum for our favorite plant. If you have a minute, drop over and add your names to the request. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580182/
Thanks,
Pati

P.S. We're also exchanging a lot of info over there until we get our own forum.

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

Love the photo. I have one in a one gallon pot which I'm planning to mix in a half-barrel (my strategy for dealing with the spread) with a Pretoria--photo below. Possibly mixed with a Black Magic colocasia and some other smaller stuff in front. Only prob is that it's logical location won't allow for me to see it backlit by sun ;^(

Thumbnail by karenM
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

a pic or two

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

and..

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

and

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

and wuvie..this is the canna i sent you...behind it is my confederate rose (hibisucus mutablis)

Thumbnail by junglebob
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

kmickelson...do you live near Deerpark Villa......a wonderful restaurant?

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, Junglebob.

Nice photos. Indeed, the Deer Park is right down the road from me! The grounds there are always so lovely, tho it seems I mostly eat there only on holidays for some reason--likely cuz they have great buffets my aunt and uncle like to go to.

By the way, anybody have any idea how it would work if I put a Mexican Weeping Bamboo (5 gal) in the same half barrel with a couple of cannas?

Karen

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

MKJONES,
You can get the Stuttgart tubers for $3.50 from egarden.com. I bought and planted 10 3 weeks ago, in their own individual pots (12" x 15"). Six are already a foot tall, and still waiting for 4 pots to come alive. The tubers they sent were humongous! They are VAMPIRE plants. Co to the cannas thread and you'll see all my posts regarding growth and care. Or send me a personal d-mail and I'll copy one of the posts back to you. Enjoy.

P.S. They like high phosphorous fertilizer, lots of water and a shady spot. Any direct sun will burn the leaves.

I just bought two Tropicanna Gold from Home Depot......in full bloom with more flowers coming on. I want to plant them with my two regular Tropicanna which are in a dappled shade area. Will both kinds prosper? The two regulars are going great guns and putting out new blooms all the time.

All my others, Pretoria, Black Knight and no-names are in full all day sun. They too are doing great!
Pati

Wake Forest, NC

hello, beautiful pictures!

Hi jnhidden! I haven't seen you post before, so welcome to the Canna Forum. This is my first year for them, and am just loving every bloom!
Pati

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.