Starting Datura Seeds

Altoona, WI

Hello everyone - I'm brand new to your group (just subscribed today), and would love your help and advice in regard to Daturas. In 2002 I purchased Datura seeds at a local plant auction and had much success in germinating and having them grow into beautiful plants. (I can't remember how I started the seeds, apparently it was too easy - as I now I can't remember!) I collected the seeds that fall and kept them in the basement where it is cool and dry. In 2003 (and 2004) I had zero success in germinating any of the seeds (tried nicking them, soaking them) - although in 2003 two plants came up in the garden, apparently from dropped seeds. (Gee, guess I should have dropped all of them!)

Anyway - I have ordered fresh seeds which should be here by the end of this week (Double Purple, Double Yellows, LaFleur Lilac, and Single White), and still have seeds from my original plants (Single White - so I am assuming they were D.wrightii?), although those seeds are now nearly three years old.

I would really like to start the seeds inside, as we will still have killing frosts here until nearly the end of May. What advice can you give me? Are the three year old seeds too old now to bother with? What method(s) of germination should I use with the fresh and/or old seeds? A friend suggested that maybe my current seeds needed a "cold period", so now I have some in the freezer and some in the refrigerator. Is this true? And if so, should it be done with the fresh seeds too? Are there different methods of germination that should be used with the four varieties I will be attempting?

I really love this plant, and literally have room for hundreds. Our daughter will be having her wedding reception in our yard on Labor Day weekend and I would love to have lots of these beautiful plants. (I also love them because they are the ONLY plant that the local white-tailed deer herd will not consume.That's a whole different subject - can't even grow marigolds as I end up with nothing more than foliage - the deer eat the buds off!) Okay back to Datura - your advice, suggestions, and comments in regard to successful germination will be greatly appreciated!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Shelly, Welcome to DG!! I'm sure you will like it here, most folks are super nice and friendly. I personally haven't started too many seeds inside because I just do not have the room, but this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/499713/ is also in the Datura Forum and there are links to some really great seed starting information.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing with your seeds.

Judy

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Good luck with your daturas. I started some years ago and now they come up like weeds all over the garden, I have to hack them out of all kids of unexpected places. I would think if they have a normal growing season they will e plenty large in time for the wedding. They seem to grow like weeds, at least for me.

Altoona, WI

Thank you both for responding, and thanks for the info about the thread on starting the datura seeds. I can only hope they grow like weeds for me! I'll keep you updated!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.