wisteria seed question

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i got some wisteria seeds in the mail. the only wisteria seeds i have ever seen are the flat round ones. the ones i got today are a bean looking thing. they are marked wisteria but they are a bean.

any idea which wisteria they may be???

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Scarlet wisteria, Sesbania punicea:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Sesbania is a lovely tree that has red flowers and is easy to grow.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Clara, I planted some and waited for about a month and finally tossed it. Did I expect too much from it? How long before it would bloom? Someone told me that Wisteria started from seed takes 9 years to bloom.

Guess that is why I tossed it. Jeanette btw, is that what they call Rattlebox?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Could it be the evergreen wisteria?
I recently got some in trade and they just germinated....

Yes, Rattlebox is Scarlet Wisteria, Sesbania punicea. The seeds make a rattling noise when you touch the pods after they are dried on the tree.

Real wisteria, Wisteria sinensis and Wisteria floribunda, can take years and years to flower from seed. Sesbania is a different tree altogether with a similar common name but in a completely different family. Sesbania will flower in its first or second year from seed.

Crestedchik, that is a good point. I don't know what Millettia reticulata, Evergreen Wisteria, seeds look like. Do they look like a bean? If so, it could be that. That is the problem with common names and why using the scientific name is so much more accurate and clear.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm so scatterbrained I can't remember what exactly they looked like
they were not as big as real wisteria,I remember that
they were about the size of my pinky fingernail,kinda fat but flat if that makes any sence

Can scarlet wisteria be grown from seed?
I love it
I had one for years but it finally croaked.....

CC, the scarlet wisteria looks like a beige bean with a dark center. It's pretty little and smaller than a regular wisteria seed. Scarlet wisteria grows easily from seed. I'll send you a PM.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Imzadi, I posted pics of the flowers and tried to get an id and no one was sure what kind they were. I have heard back from a few people that they sprouted quickly though. If I run across the pics on my other computer, I will post some for you. They are hardy and not any of the ones above. They have lavender flowers.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

okay cool anything to help with the wisteria beans. i plan to start them and see what comes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.