Perennial or Weed? That is the Question!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everybody--

I have a small dilemma, but I am sure I am not the first one with it---and am wondering if anyone can help me---

How do you know what is a weed and what is a perennial? I am a new-ish gardener and planted a number of small plants last fall--the markers are lost now, and I can't tell what is a weed and what is not?

Any pointers on this? Or is there a Website that shows pictures of common weeds here in the Midwest?

Any help would be appreciated--I know I already 'dispatched' some daisies and some creeping phlox and I can't afford any more ignorance!

Thanks.. t.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Here's a site that might help you out :)

http://www.btny.purdue.edu/weedscience/

You can also e-mail them with photos for them to identify :) When you get your answers, you can let other Ohioans here on DG know :)

This message was edited Apr 15, 2005 6:26 PM

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

When in doubt, let it grow for a bit longer. Hopefully you remember what the leaves of your plants look like. Let them emerge from dormancy for a bit longer. If you are talking about seedlings, it would depend on whether the plants you bought are known for self-sowing. If not, then assume seedlings are bad.

In my yard any weed that grows in one area is definitely growing everywhere else. When in doubt, if you've got it lots of places, it's probably a weed. Also, lots of your perennials will grow in clumps with one root system, unless they are seedlings (see post from sfk). With time you'll just start to 'know' what's a weed and what's not. Good luck!

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Well, When I first had my garden I was sick so I didn't weed. It was a good thing because I thought all these flowere were weeds until they bloomed. If this is your first year than leave everything and you'll start to recognize things by the end of the summer. Then you will know next year. There are some plants that look just like certain weeds when young, so you might want to wait. You'll be surprised how easy you will begin to recognize plants.
Mobi

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

My favorite saying: "There is no such thing as a weed, only a misplaced plant".

Havre, MT(Zone 3a)

Reminds me of when I moved to a new house with an established flower garden. I was raised on a farm so definitly know what a globe thistle looks like as they were a weed on the farm. I spent 2-3 years trying to get these weeds out of my flower beds only to discover I had been digging our cluster bell flowers. Now I am saving seeds from the few plants that escaped my hoe to try getting them re-established. Boy they sure looked like thistles when they were coming up. Also I have noticed that the cocklebur weed looks very similiar to hollyhocks when just starting in the spring

My new thinking is.............don't know?........don't hoe

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

It seems there's just no escaping it. I can't count the times I've nurtured a weed, thinking it was something I planted or that I'm putting weeds I've pulled in the wheel barrel only to find clumps of seedlings I've sown and forgotten or perennials I yanked in my frenzy!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks"Did I plant that?? Is it a weeD? Where did that come from?" I let them grow and have had some very healthy weeds grow here. About mid June, I laugh at myself and pull them out , and have another inch or two to plant a real perennial. LOL Lou

Arroyo Grande, CA

It is somewhat of a definitional problem. Some of the natives around here look very nice in my garden so I just let them grow. Are they weeds (negative) or volunteers (positive). Some of the volunteers I see at plant sales in very expensive one gallon cans with claims about how difficult they are to grow. Some of the natives are helped by extensive pruning to keep them inbounds or to get rid of the dead stuff, the deer and other herbivors can only do so much.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

My mom was so excited that something was coming back in her garden this year - a lonely little plant... it looks very green and healthy. I was sorry to inform her it was itchweed...

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone--that Purdue Weed Science Site is most helpful...and I am glad to know that I am in such esteemed company with all of you! So I don't feel quite so silly (stupid?).

I will keep watching and see what happens, (although I used this approach last year and my children accused me a growing an 'illegal substance' right out next to my mailbox!)

Happy gardening...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.