(JCF) Janet Flowers

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Mrs. Janet Flowers, known to us at DG as JCF of Brooklet, GA, age 53, died Tuesday night (October 5, 2004) at Emory University Hospital after an extended illness. The native of Chatham County grew up in Savannah where she attended school and was a graduate of South College. The homemaker had been a resident of Bulloch County for the past 10 years. She was an avid gardener who enjoyed growing flowers and vegetables to share with others and was a member of the Saint James Catholic Church.

Survivors include her husband, Wade Flowers; two daughters, Christina and Deanna Flowers, all of Brooklet; one sister and brother-in-law, Susan and Robert Doyne of West Palm Bay, Fla.; one brother, Stephen Clark of Ellabell; and several nieces and nephews.

Visitation was held Friday from 5-7 p.m. at the Jake A. Futch Funeral Home. The funeral service was held Saturday at 2 p.m. in the Jake A. Futch Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery.

The following is a posting by her daughter, Christina, informing DG of her passing:

Quoting:
Hello, everyone. We're really, REALLY sorry to have to tell you all this. But our wife and mother, Janet Flowers (JCF) passed away on Oct. 5, 2004. She had B-Cell Lymphomia, which caused her to have multiple brain tumors. But, officially, she died from a brain hemmorage. We're sorry that this didn't get posted earlier, but we've been having a lot of computer problems lately. Also, if she owed anybody anything, we're sorry, but those things aren't coming. We hope that you can all find forgiveness in your hearts for that. We would like to thank you all for always being there for her. You gave her great joy and delight even in her hardest times. We would also like to thank Dave and Trish for creating Dave's Garden. This site meant so much to her. Whenever she talked about it (and she did that A LOT) she always called it "her Christian web site". In fact, even when she was in the hospital she wanted to get a computer so she could talk to all of you. Everyone at Dave's Garden was so special to her. SHE WILL BE GREATLY MISSED BY ALL OF US. Also, we had to close down the internet on our computer, and mom's e-mail account with it, for now. So, if you want to talk to us for any reason, you'll all have to use snail-mail. For anyone who doesn't know, our address is:

Wade Flowers
1821 Old Happy Road
Brooklet, Ga 30415

Thank you all so much,

Wade, Christina, and Deanna

I didn't have much opportunity to talk to JCF, I remember helping her with the 2003/2004 GA Roundup, but from all the posts that I've read about her, she was a very sweet person, that loved her garden and loved DG.

Janet was one of our earliest members, signing up on February 21, 2001. She was very active in plant and seed trading, and was instrumental in organizing Dave's Garden round-ups. She was frequently seen in the prayer forum, along with the vegetable and garden talk areas.

The note on her member page reads:

Quoting:
"Hi everyone. After being a member for over a year now I am finally getting around to writing somethoing here. I live in rural georgia about 45 miles west of Savannah. I am married for nearly 21 years and have two great girls. We have 4 dogs, 3 cats and 5 fish. I am trying to landscape a 5 acrea piece of land. I love to garden and grow my flowers. I love to can and put up my veggies when they make. Finding this site has been the best thing to happen to me in years. I have made so many good friends who have helped me thru so much. I love all of you!!!!"

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

The other day I was going through on of my gardening books and came across a bookmark Janet had made, and had sent me with some seeds.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Janet added a lot to DG in the early days and was a very active trader, She also planned the Spring GARU 2004 which she never made due to transportation problems. She will be well remembered.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Janet was a wopnderful person. I brought some of her passionvines to Turkey with me, her memory will live on here. She will be missed by many.

Crossville, TN

WE will all miss Janet...she was a great person. Jo

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Janet was the first person to see me some iris rhizomes and I named them Iris Janet. I was sorry to hear of her passing and so young too. Joann

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Sorry to see her gone and I still has plants from her is Beard Iris (Pink) but never grow to have flower bloom still pretty green leafs.........That I has them for 5 years.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

stay on them redrose - maybe they will happen when they are ready.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I also have some of Janet's iris, and she sent me the neatest tool holder that wraps around a bucket. I also participated in several of her great seed round robins. Janet will be missed.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Looking around my garden I see a tame rasberry bush and red monarda and Wide Brim hosta and an Aalfred daffodil she sent me when my Lucky died for his grave and so many other things remind me. She was such a sharing person. May her peace be eternal Blessings of love and prayers going out to her family Shirley

I was reminded of her often this past weekend at the GARU... different spot but she would have loved it.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

O my gosh! I had no idea. Bless her heart she and I talked alot and traded alot too. This breaks my heart. I know she is with God now and is in aww of the beautiful gardens in heaven.

Darius, Are you sure she didn't come to one of the GA RU?
I've only been to 2 and the one at High Falls I'm pretty sure she was there. In fact I'm positive she was there with her Dh and 2 daughters, and they even brought a friend. Seems like her dh looks like Hank Williams Jr or some body like that.
I'm going to go look thru the ole RU pics.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Mollybee, she was there and there is a picture taken by GrannyLois that is posted on DG in RU forums. I am trying to get it moved to here :) Kathy

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thats what I thought, I remember hugging her neck.
She was such a sweet lady, she will truely be missed.

Molly, yes she was at the first one, with her family. She was so thrilled that she volunteered to organize the second one the next spring and didn't make it... car was loaded and broke down en route. Sadly she didn't live to the fall one that year.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

You're right, I think I misread your post. For I was at the same one as she was and I too missed the second one that she organized.
Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Is this the photo?

oxox

Thumbnail by solitear

Yes, that's Janet and her girls at the GARU.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Thank you solitear, I couldn't figure out how to transfer it. A family friend is all the way to the left, then the next are Janet's daughters, and Janet on the right.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I was so glad to find the picture ..... My mother and father passed away several years ago and my only sibling, John, died Feb. 26, 2005. It was your good description above that led me to the photo.

I'm new here so didn't know Janet but, after reading the tender tributes here, feel she must have been a dear person who sweetly touched many people. Janet's daughters look so young... I'll be praying for them and others. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Solitear

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

She was a dear dear person.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I traded with Janet many times and even sent her things to help with her Uncle James, who she was taking care of. Uncle James lived with her and her family for awhile until his trailer could be repaired enough to be livable. It was tough on Janet and her girls. He wasn't a difficult person, really, just not mentally able to take care of himself or see that he was causing others problems. Janet took it all in stride, knowing that she was doing the right thing. I know that many other folks sent things to help out with Uncle James, too. I still have trouble believing she's gone, but I think that's mostly because I wasn't able to participate in the grieving process being so far away from her (in distance). There's something about going to a wake or funeral that helps to solidify the situation in one's mind. None of us really had that opportunity. I know I think about Janet from time to time and wonder how Uncle James is doing and how her family is getting on.

Interesting how relationships can form with someone without having the benefit of locality.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

As Carla pointed out in the prayer forum, today would have been Janet's birthday. I miss seeing her posts and swapping e-mails with her...

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I saw her BD listed too and I am so sad for her and her family today!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I saw her name today too, and it made sad. She was such a generous trader and great lady to talk to.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I was saddened to hear of her passing. It was a blessed suprise this Spring to have the Passion Flower vine that she gave me a couple of years ago actually start growing. I didn't think it would be hardy in my zone. I know she's looking down on us from her heavenly home. We miss you Janet!

My dearest Janet,

Thank you for being you, the gifts of our trades will be in my heart and are growing in my garden as reminders.

Be safe and know that many daves friends lives were more special because of you.

Sheran.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2006 6:55 PM

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Today I cleaned a couple of closets and when going through books to give away, I found the bookmark Janet made for me in 2003. It said "The plants we grow may fade away, but the friendships we build will last forever....Janet....9/15/03

Janet, you continue to touch my life just when I need it the most. I miss you my friend.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

:) We've been connected a long time here, haven't we all, Joan? ((hugs))

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

A lot of us have....one big family!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.