Birding in South Florida

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We went back to Collier County last weekend and had a wonderful time. We camped at Collier-Seminole State Park. When I first left the camper Saturday morning I was thrilled to see a Red Shouldered Hawk fly through the campground screaming the whole time. Moments later one landed on top of a power pole nearby

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

On our way down US 41 we pulled off the road to bird watch. The sun was just coming up over the Everglades, the Big Cypress Swamp area.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

These are Florida Mottled Duck, Anas fulvigula fulvigula in the glow of the rising sun. These ducks are becoming rare because they are breeding with Mallards, producing a hybrid offspring.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We also saw Blue Winged Teal, Anas discors. These lovely ducks are hunted and tend to be very spooky. This is as close as we could get and we spooked the flock a couple of times

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Both the Teal and the Mottled Duck were first ever sightings for me

A flock of Blue Winged Teal

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A view of the saw grass and a strand in the early morning light. It was beautiful!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A view to the south...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We moved on to another habitat, the Florida prairie or savannah. We found this Mockingbird near the ranger station on what looks to be a favorite bird perch

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A European Starling...the first I've had the displeasure of seeing in this area

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A male Red Winged Blackbird, Agelaius phoeniceus

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Female Red Winged Blackbird...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We saw lots of these Grasshoppers...in some places we really had to watch our step

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This was pure thrill...a first for the year and first time ever near enough for a photograph..
A Pileated Woodpecker

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The (most likely) male Eastern Meadowlark, Sturnella magna, stakes his territory and sings his song to warn off interlopers. Male and female are alike except for behaviour.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2005 3:46 PM

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Such a beautiful bird. This is a different Meadowlark on his own tree.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Red-bellied Woodpecker, Melanerpes carolinus, on an old palm frond

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Do you suppose he's looking or listening?

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The beautiful Northern Flicker, Colaptes auratus. I'll be looking to get better pictures of this bird next time. This was a first for me this year. The birds were in the road in front of us. As we got close they moved up the road. There must have been lots of ants and other bugs along there.

Thumbnail by Floridian
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Your pictures are always a feast. Thank you so much. That hawk is just stunning.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This flock of waders went over. Not a great picture but I thought it interesting that this flock consisted of 3 Snowy Egrets, 3 Little Gray Herons and 8 White Egrets.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

floridian--loved your avian pics--especially the shot of the teal...you must have had a great trip...seems like there are so many interesting species in Florida...

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! I have a few more but kept getting errors earlier. We're going to a new place tomorrow, supposed to be a great birding spot.What more could one want?? LOL

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Floridian, nice series of photos ... I especially like the Northern Flicker and Meadowlark photos. I, too, this week so my first Flickers in 2005. I did get a photo of two in a tree but it's not a very good shot.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

As always, your outings and photos fascinate me. : )

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I was there a year ago February. Great to see all your pics. I actually dragged my DBF over to the monitor so he could revisit with me. Love the green winged teals in flight-spectacular shot, the meadowlark and tongue and those black grasshoppers. So where are you off to next (wondering if we were there, too!).

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Oops meant blue winged teal.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Great photos Floridian. I especially like your Meadowlarks, mainly because I have never seen one before. How I wish I could see a Pileated W/P. Sounds like it made your day. Keep the pix coming & have a great trip.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The Blue-winged Teal with the green wings?? LOL
We're going to Payne's Praire Preserve State Park tomorrow. http://www.floridastateparks.org/paynesprairie/default.cfm I've never been but I've been hearing a lot about it. PP is about 100 miles north of here.

Thanks Donut! Maybe you'll come back and play someday

Linthicum, I saw another Pileated today~ it flew right over us and landed on a pole...I ran for my camera but the bird was long gone. LOL

Modi'in, Israel

Oh Wow! Oh Wow! Oh Wow! I can't even begin to say which of the photos or which of the subjects I like best. I think this series has really topped them all....for me at least! I'm just speechless! Wow!

-Julie

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Floridian, wonderful pictures. Sure made me wish that are wasn't so far away. I just go birding locally and actually see quite a lot of different birds here in my yard. thanks so much for taking the photos and posting so we all could enjoy. DonnaS

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Broots, the Pileated /is exciting. Since then I've seen 2 others and actually got pictures of one of them. The Meadowlarks are fun because you sure hear them befor you see them. Half the fun is searching for them...
LOL Julie, thanks! I'm having great fun birding this year.
Donna, I have outlaws in Oregon so one of these days we're going to get up there and in your area to do some wildlife exploration...I can hardly wait!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.