Martagons

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Everytime I plant Martagons they either never come up or just seem very spindly with tiny blooms. NEVER look like the pictures and I have tried them for years on and off then they seem to just disappear. Any suggestions?

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Where do you have them planted?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I basically have a woodland garden and have tried them in alot of different places....they never receive full sun...could that be it?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Levilyla--

are the martagons supposed to be up now? I planted 8 bulbs in big pots last fall but nothing is showing. They are in full sun now... We are in zone 6a? Anybody know? Thanks. t.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Martagons prefer dappled shade and so full sun is not recommended. Furthermore, they are known to be a bit fickle after transplanting and often sulk for a year and sometimes don't even appear at all the first season after planting. Don't give up on them until at least 2 yrs after planting and then I'd dig gently around the site to see if the bulb is still intact and perhaps just still getting settled in.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Obviously have been away from here tooooooooo long. Martagons very often sulk. I moved all mine -under protest - last year. Result ..... Nada. Only marties I have are the scales, which are growing nicely. Don't think I'll have a single martie stem this year. I've put wire over them to save them from the bushy taled RATS and covered the wire with well composted manure. Hope that they will increase bulbs while sulking this year.

Martagons usully poke their collective noses through first of all the lilium.
Inanda

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

See what happens when you take a leave of DG, Ginny! LOL

I was at my old homestead this afternoon just checking on the blooms I'm missing out on and I have a lily up a bit that might be my first martagon. I can't remember for sure if that's where I planted it and the dog gone tag is gone (literally -- my rat terriers like to pull them up). I'll have to check my notebook and see if it was. There was an R.O. Backhouse tag nearby not in the ground.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

So glad you are able to rescue from your old house. Make that former house. Is it up for sale yet? Lose not a minute.
Inanda

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

No for sale sign on it yet. We're really dragging our feet. Been over the last 2 weekends ripping out carpet. Next step is to get carpet ordered & installed and then start painting (or maybe it's the other way round). Heck I just keep digging every time we're over there. Wanda told me about the plastic grocery bag for daylilies and iris. I've moved daylilies only so far as I was waiting for the lilies to come up so I'd know where to dig. Now I'm behind as most are about 6-12" tall.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

That doesn't matter. Brenda. Move them.
Wont hurt them.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm on it this weekend. On inanda's orders! :-D

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I don't order people around here. That is my friend down the road. Although she has been pretty quiet lately. Gardening possibly.

Good luck with the weather/digging this weekend Langr.
Inanda

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

That would be the other Brenda?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.