Virginia creeper

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Is it safe for a tree to grow virginia creeper under a tree? I was thinking of planting some under the oak in our yard. It has no surface roots, it's trunk is almost 2 feed diameter.

Will this hurt the tree at all?

Thanks,

Maureen

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

In Lubbock, Virginia creeper is almost an epidemic. It's growing everywhere! I have not noticed it to hurt any trees around here, but this is my just my observation. In my backyard it is climbing up every fence very near to several trees- all of which are doing great.
But this is just my observation, not any scientific proof. I wonder if it would be invasive in your area like it is here?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

We have Virginia Creeper in Iowa and it does become a problem. I'm pulling it all the time, thanks to the birds.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I didn't know it was such a problem. It's native to Missouri so maybe that's why it isn't considered invasive here? Not sure. However, based on what you all have said, I may look for something else.

Thanks,

Maureen

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

There's Virginia Creeper growing on lots of houses in Medora, as well as lots of other places in town. It behaves very well here, and doesn't get out of hand. I think the short growing season may have something to do with that.

I'm planting some this spring in an effort to cover up an ugly garden shed in my backyard. I'm not worried about it at all, after seeing how well behaved it is in Medora, and has been there for years.

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

I agree with Joan although I am in 5a. I love the vine because of its beauty in the fall and being vigorus in growth.

Our season is shorter here, of course, and I have had many of these vines for years. I have never found them invasive if I remember to keep training the new growth to the trellis or whatever.

Engelman Ivy is a another one almost like Virginia Creeper and it is not as fast a grower but just as beautiful....

Another could be Silvervein Creeper, which grows better in a more protected, more shade place. A very beautiful vine.

Check in the Plant Files for more info on Parthenocissus....You can see a picture of the variegated variety too. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58375/index.html or try http://davesgarden.com/pf/b/Vitaceae/Parthenocissus/

This message was edited Apr 16, 2005 10:09 PM

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I know this plant is on several state invasive species lists, might want to check out your state's listings. These lists don't refer to plants that are difficult to control in terms of bounds only, but instead refer to plants that escape from their garden home and can pose real ecological threats to the surrounding environment. Good for you to research it a bit first :) It is lovely, but not everywhere...

Hope this is a bit helpful to you,
Huga :)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Found this excellent site, very useful info. Does seem to indicate, though, that your tree may not be safe with this vine. Please take a look at the link :)

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/virginia_creeper.htm

Also, a website containing info with Virginia Creeper listed as an invasive species (Oregon)
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/douglas/Hort/articles/Invasive%20Plants.BK.pdf

Huga

This message was edited Apr 17, 2005 12:12 AM

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow huga,

Thanks for that great site! I think you're right about the tree, I don't want to take any chances. It attracts so many birds though it's hard to resist planting it. If I do however, I'll try to find some dead tree branches (snags, right?) and make a thicket.

If I don't go with creeper, I'll probably use boston ivy.

Thanks,

Maureen

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Joan,

The growing season is a good factor to remember. It can get extremely cold here (-15 to -20) in Jan-Feb and I wonder if that could keep any invasiveness in tact.

Thanks for the info,

Maureen

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Bings,

Thanks for the links and info on alternatives. I'm still researching, and that helps alot!

Maureen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I have a fence I would like to cover with the Virginia Creeper. Would any of you mind sending me a half a dozen starts for SASE? Sure would appreciate it. Jeanette

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Be careful handling Virginia Creeper. Some people are very allergic to the sap in it. My neighbor breaks out as if she had been in a patch of poison ivy. It doesn't bother me. I pull it with my bare hands. It hasn't leafed out here yet Jeanette.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Don't worry Brugie, I don't have any. Jeanette

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'll watch for volunteers. I've put down Preen, so I'm not sure they will come up. If I find any, I'll let you know.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad the site was helpful :) Just wanted to note that v. creeper seed is hardy, so cold winters likely won't stall it's growth rate. Not any more than they would hardy, reseeding perennials, for instance. And seed from bird droppings will overwinter perfectly well and sprout the next year with no trouble at all... in places other than where it was planted. Basically, this plant won't be contained easily. Hope this helps you make a choice :)

Huga :)

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Huga;

It does help, you bring up points I hadn't thought of.

Thanks again!

Maureen

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.