HELP!!!! My gardener weed whacked my...

Archie, MO(Zone 5b)

clematis vine off 4" from the ground. I'm in tears!
Will this grow back out next year?

I took the wacked off stems, dipped them in rooting powder and stuck them in a pot with part potting soil and part mulch. Do you think they will root?

Anyone have any better ideas?

Oh by the way..... I would fire him but he's my son.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

lol about the son part... Heck, you might wind up with a bunch of vines if the rooting works and the one in the ground survives. I know that they can come up with more stems from the ground sometimes in the spring then they had in the fall, so perhaps it still has a few more shoots that could come up from underground. I don't suppose that your 'gardener' chopped it off above a stem node/joint? If he did then it should leaf out at that junction. Otherwise I'm not sure. *crossing my fingers for ya*

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

You probably will get new vines from your potted cuttings. I have made quite a few that way. (I have also accidently cut good vines. Mostly when I'm pruning!) I usually cut off the bottom of a 1gal milk jug and make a little greenhouse and pop it over my cuttings untill they're rooted.

I'll keep the babies in the pot until next season and then plant them out(or maybe hold them til that fall and then plant them.)

The mama vine should recover, too.

Your poor son must feel pretty bad! But you will soon have more vines!
JenG

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

One of my poor clematis has been eaten not once, but twice, in 2 successive years by my goats (yes, I'm dumb) - apparently clematis is some sort of goat delicacy. They just keep coming back the next year - doing great at the moment - go figure. The girls can't get to them now (must just drive them nuts, though!) - C

Greenwell Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

wow that milkjug mini green house suggestion is an awesome idea..

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

...some clematis are suppose to be pruned hard in order to get them to bloom. It depends on which group your clematis belongs to. Do you know the name? If it's a Group 3 variety it should be pruned hard (normally within 12") of the ground every spring to encourage new growth and blooming. If it blooms on old wood then you're out of luck this year as far as blooms, but it should grow back none the less.

Sandy

Archie, MO(Zone 5b)

Seedsower-- I need to look it up again, I have the tag, I think it blooms on old wood. Its okay if it doesnt bloom this year, I just dont want it to die. I checked it yesterday and it is sprouting back out again....YEAH!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Lisa Moore

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

They are pretty hearty vines, really. You can kill them (I've been guilty of that!). But they take a lot of abuse.
Glad it's showing signs of life.
JenG

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

I always cut mine back almost to the ground and then they send out new shoots... Just love them!!! Planted several new colors this year and can't wait to see how they do.

Picture is from last year's garden.

Thumbnail by shelley1962

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.