Michigan morel story

Beaumont, CA

Hi, I'm new to Daves. I lived in MI (newhudson near So. Lyon) for a year and a half. I was homesick for CA and trying to love MI. One thing that excited me was morel hunting. I read about it in the paper and bugged hubby to go. We never got around to it and the season is short so I was blue. We had woods behind the house and I was poking around and to my amazement, there was a big ol' patch of morels!!! I tasted a micropiece to be sure and plucked them all ( a mistake, you're supposed to leave some and shake them all about to keep them coming...). I had a big basket full and dried some, made soup. I was in heaven!
If anyone is a morel hunter, can I have them shipped to CA? :) I'm missing them...
Anyway, hi to the Michiganders from sunny CA.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Lisabethm.......LOL@you.......You should know by now, Morel hunters never ever tell the location of thier finds...and they don't share thier morels either.....*s*.......you may want to check out this website....perhaps these folks can help you with getting some morels shipped to Calif

http://www.morelmushroomhunting.com/

Good luck....and please come back to visit us at the Michigan site....

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

last spring was first yr I ever hunted the shrooms(ive lived here over 40yrs) and even though i was in great pain from a reaction to plants-face swollen and bright red- We still went shrooming and found them!! It was a great time.
I cant wait to go back.

Arliene was here saturday and mentioned it that night in my dreams i was shrooming LOL

This message was edited Apr 20, 2005 10:13 AM

Beaumont, CA

Well, after I posted this message I went on a morel site and felt sheepish that I didn't try to i.d. my garden morels better! Were they false? I'm not sure but they were delicious! I will try that shroom site deann, thanks for that! (also, I don't know what (e:mail:Lisabethm etc.) means, is that a way to email you?). I won't say my address in new hudson but you know that they are there :)
I sure miss the great barn sales and auctions in MI along with the "extreme weather" and morels of course! I have read that CA gets morels too and I have searched in the county park near my house (oak woodland) but no luck! I will have to try to get some shipped...

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

we went mushrooming up in Cadillac and got lost in the woods for hours. No water and no bathroom (used the trees!) Pretty scarey time....But we found a ton of those darn things and they were worth it!!!! We still laugh about our experience..

Beaumont, CA

One more thing, on the UP is where I saw my first opium poppies, growing in someone's yard! That must be the way people get up the courage to go over that crazy Mackinac bridge LOL!!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

lisabethm

Actually LOL was just me saying I was laughing at you, and it somehow came out as a link.....pay no attention, I know if I need to email you I can just click on your name.....Yes, do be careful on what kinds of mushrooms you consume, I would be very very careful unless you can identify them for sure.....

Dori, you and Dale are invited to walk through 200 acres of my woods to look for Morels when the time is right....we have never found any here.....yet.....maybe you can show me where they are.....just let me know....OK....

sarv48.......got lots of compass's here ....wanna borrow one....*g*......all kidding aside....as well as my DH knows our woods, he too got lost once.....

Deann

White lk, MI(Zone 5a)

Lisabethm,

Give me a hint to those morals. I only live about 15 miles from New Hudson. If I find them I will let you know if they still taste good. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.