Black knight buddleia

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am ready for the butterflies!!!!

Thumbnail by rylaff
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I think that's just about my favorite buddleia!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I planted three of those last year...can't wait for them to come into their own this year.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

What do you do for yours? Mine is hanging in there, but it's been kind of whimpy the past two years.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Cut it back and let it come back. After two or three years, I take cuttings and start again.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

From a plant that easily fits into a 1-gallon pot, how long does it take to reach "blooming size"? I just planted one in my yard last week that I overwintered in a pot. It's only about 14" tall.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Once it warms up enough, it is blooming time. I have had them bloom when they are pretty small.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mine, too. From even a quart pot I've had them bloom the same year.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Great news! I'll have to give it some extra food tonight to help it along. I planted it where it will get full sun for most of the day, but not near any walls or sidewalks.

Do butterflies really like these bushes? My mom had a couple when I was growing up and I just remember the butterflies passing right by these. If not butterflies, I bet the bees like them. I have at least 2 hives of very docile polinating bees at the base of my rock garden. I accidently put my bare foot over 3 of their holes last summer and didn't even get buzzed.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Flutterbys love these, as do the hummers. That one right there is a nice one! It's my favorite flutterby bush.

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

Not only butterflies and hummers but beware of the bees. It's fun to watch all the activity on these bushes.
Anne

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine reliably bloom in the first year, and then are cut back to 12" every late winter, and they grow to 6 ft and bloom every summer. And yes emily, butterflies do LOVE my Buddleia! I have 3 now, and rarely did I look at them last summer without at least a couple of b-flies fluttering around them. Surprise hummers, and of course bees are reg visitors as well. Very active shrubs.....and so reliable - and pretty..:)

Arroyo Grande, CA

I haven't cut mine to the ground, just back to about three feet tall, mostly by shortening the longest branches. They are only one or two years old, so I do not know what will happen this year, but they should grow a lot. I got some seeds and some mailorder plants so I will have ten or twelve different ones.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

oops...I cut mine back today...and only left them a couple of inches tall. Is this going to kill them? :(

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

No, I have cut mine almost to the ground before.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

The tops of mine die back every year but as soon as the hard freezes stop they put out new growth. It's amazing to me how big they get in one season. Even though they grow from the ground up every year they still get about seven foot tall - and smell WONDERFUL. Just bought a bicolor this year and I'm looking forward to see how it does.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm in St. Pete and can't grow buddleia to save my life. It will live for a couple of months and then die for no apparent reason.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Anyone have any luck with these in Zone 4? I would love to grow one of these, but they are kind of pricey for an annual...

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Rylaff,

Does that flower smell as beautiful as it looks?

I received my first buddleia at the KYRU last fall. It has put off 2 bloom clusters so far. Smelled so good I ordered a Nanho Blue and a Royal Red. They should be here Monday.

I'm hoping to attract some hummingbirds this year. We'll see.

Molly

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It does have a scent. It is kind of close to the white butterfly ginger which drowns everything else out.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Rylaf, any special way to take cuttings? I see you say you take cuttings every 3 years or so. Thought I would try to get one for Zarebeth to try.

Jeanette - btw, your Black Knight is gorgeous.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I think they are one of the easiest plants to root. Take a stick of it, dip it in rooting hormone and stick it in a pot. Nothing fancy. Wont take long.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Jnette - that is so sweet of you! Hope it works *crossed fingers*

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Rylaff, do you take new soft growth, or woody? Jeanette

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Woody.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hope it works Zarebeth. Will keep you posted. Jeanette

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My brother loves the butterfly bush. Mind you he is not a gardener in the least but he bought a white butterfly bush last year and couldn't stop talking about it. He is devastated this year because it hasn't returned. Now he wants me to find him a pink one. Does anyone know which pink variety is the nicest?

I went to Lowes today and they only had about 8 plants and all were either Ellen Blue or Nanho Blue. I know these are the purple varieties. Can someone please recommend which of these two is better?

Thanks
Toni

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Toni, there are a lot of buddleia cultivars. If your local nursery only carriers 2, maybe consider purchasing by mail? Some of my favorite pinks are 'Dartmoor', 'Summer Beauty', and 'Summer Rose'. But my newest favorites are Mike Dirrs new ones, 'Guinevere' and 'Attraction'. Black-purple, and magenta red respectively. If you get them small thru mail order, they will catch up in no time. Also have you ever seen buddleia alternifolia. Mine is about 7 ft tall now, and just getting ready to flower. It's so different than the others, and would be hardy for you. Polly

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Polly!

Thanks for the suggestions on a pink buddleia. The fancy nursery near me has alot of buddleias to choose from but they're pretty pricey. I went to Lowes and found they had 2 gallon size buddleias but only the Ellen Blue and Nanho Blue. The price was like $14.95 which is do-able. I'm hoping they'll get some more in different colors this weekend.

Toni

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Zarebeth, I have tried 3 different ones and can't seem to get them to take. Maybe Rylaf will do it for you. Sorry.

Jeanette

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

fill a gallon pot with potting soil
lay a branch over with a node centered over the pot
bend the branch so the node can be set an inch or so beneath some soil then place a rock or something on it to keep it down.

I had done this with clematis, weigela and forsythia before. A form of layering. I tried it last year with three pots. By July I had roots coming out of the drain holes. I planted one and gave 2 to the neighbor. All 3 turned into 3.5ft blooming bushes by seasons end. When I do it again, I now now those juveniles need to be mulched very heavy, at least their first winter. None of them came back for us.

New ones added last year were White Profusion (late, but it came back), variegated called Lemon Strawberry or something (didn't come back), Honeycomb (came back). Blue Mist, Black Knights and Harlequins are all back. I had seen no growth from my Pink so I pulled it to plant a brugmansia but then found shoots were coming. Oh well... I chunked it anyway.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You've got too many plants Blaine, Or maybe too fertile soil. Would love to be your neighbor. LOL

Jeanette

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Well I wished someone like you would've moved in. The house next door went on the market last Jun and finally sold in Mar. Young single female who's only talked to one person, once. Never goes outside and had some kid mow the weeds once. No one has ever lived there that took care of / did anything with that yard. I was the first hole to be dug on this street which was still dirt when I closed and moved in 10/94. I should've told you it was up for sale!!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Zarebeth- My Empire Blues come back every year like gangbusters, but Black Knight does not seem as hardy. Both Dartmoors came back this year, but we had a very light winter. I am in zone 5 or 6 borderline. I have replaced one Black Knight in 2 different places 2 years in a row. It's a little more delicate I think.
One of my Black Knights has seeded itself into my driveway (which is sand and gravel) in several places . I am waiting to see what it looks like when it blooms. Does anyone know if they come true from seed?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Blaine, thought I answered you. Maybe you could talk your neighbor into moving. LOL Guess not if she doesn't talk. If my daughter and grandson weren't established here I would talk them into moving with me into your neighborhood. She and I could do some midnight shopping. LOL

Seriously, that is too bad your neighbor does not use your overflow. It would enhance and raise the value of both of your properties.

Jeanette

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My Black Knight is just limping through life. It was fine the first few years and we do cut it back severly since it only blooms on new growth. I tried cutting back branches for more fullness but it's a limper.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

mine will limp and flop as well. I'm the culprit!! If you mulch, don't put the mulch all the way to the stems. Then put your bad hat on and quit watering and feeding. They get floppy on me if I include them in my wanton afternoons of watering and feeding whether they need it or not.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You guys, I think Rylaf who started this thread said that he/she restarts her Black Knight every 3 or so years. Go back and read.

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Rylaf, you owe me a start of your Black Knight for that plug. For SASE????

Jeanette

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Wow! That explains everything, 8ftbed! Thanks! My Empire Blues get nothin'. No fertilizer, no water, nada. They are huge and healthy. Two Black Knights are in the front yard, at the ends of my perennial borders, and they get mulched and babied. They die back or limp along, or they don't come back at all. Two other BK's are at opposite ends of my driveway, planted in roadside gravel, and get the brunt of winter salt, snow, and sand dumped on them. They are thriving.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.