Parsley Keeps Bolting

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

I've had a problem with my flat leaf Italian parsley for the past 3 years. I normally set out plants (nursery bought) the first week in May both in the ground and in pots. For the past few years at least 75% of the plants bolted within 5-6 weeks of planting and I just can't figure out why. Has anyone else had this problem? I really appreciate any suggestions as to how to prevent this from happening.

Rich

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Maybe they are just too old when you buy them. I started mine from seed and it reseeds itself and comes up when it is happy. Mine goes to seed of course, but I just keep snipping pieces off as I need them regardless of the plants making seedheads. Parsley seed heads attract a wide variety of polinators. The seeds are slow to germinate so plant a few radishes with them so you will have something to water (and eat) while you wait.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I would suggest that it may have gotten too hot to quickly. Others may know more.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I just searched the plant files and found it. Another DG member from NJ reports that the plant needs partial shade and lots and lots of water. Check it out if you have the inclination.
Some times mine grows fine and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it bolts.

Dayton, WA

Parsley is a biennial plant, meaning that it has a two-year growth cycle. I start my parsley seeds indoors and transplant them outdoors in mid-Spring. It's very rare that these first year plants ever bolt, but it does happen. They produce foliage until frost and then go dormant for the Winter. Next Spring, they grow back, produce a quick flush of leaves and then bolt to seed. I let these second year plants stand until I clean up the beds in the Fall. Then, next Spring I'm always delighted to find Parsley plants emerging all over my garden

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the replys folks and sorry it took me a while to get back here. It seems Comcast has no idea of how to run DNS servers on their network. I do plant in part shade and the pots are all self watering. I am aware that it's a biennial and have had plants come back in early spring then quickly bolt. I've seen suggestions elseware ranging from keeping the leaves well picked to using no fertilizer at all. Also it has happened during both warm and cool springs. I bought a full flat yesterday of quite young plants (right from the greenhouse) and I guess I'll have to experiment with the different pots to see if I can come up with a combination that works. Again thanks for all your responses.

Rich

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

rich...am wondering what you are feeding them. Too much phophorus and/or magnesium will encourage them to flower. (They love N though!)

Only other thing I can think of (other than dryness and stress) that would make them flower would be a soil that is excessively alkaline.

Keep us posted; would love to see how your next crop does.

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Horseshoe, you are the second person to mention too much fertilizer and that could very well be the problem. All the pots I use are self-watering and I use a 100% organic 5-3-3 mixed in with the soil in fairly large amounts since I plant the pots densly...much like I do with my EarthBoxes. While 4 of the 5 parts nitrogen are water insoluable the phosphate is derived from bone meal and rock phosphate and may be available much quicker and also may have built up as I do use the soil for a few years. While my chile plants, basil and squash seem to love it, the parsley may not. I'm going to plant 2 16" diameter and 2 14" diameter pots this afternoon and I think I'll forgo adding fertilizer to the soil and try feeding them with a 5-1-1 fish emulsion instead every couple of weeks.

Rich

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.