April 13

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Good morning, folks!!
Hope everyone is enjoying spring. It's still cloudy and gloomy today. We got almost 2 inches of rain since Sunday. Good for the drought. At least the wind has stopped blowing.

leaflady, hope Jack's eye is all healed up. Also hope all his dr. appointments go well.

When I got home from work yesterday, there was a new born calf out in the pasture. It must have been born right before I got home as it still was trying to stand. The mama wasn't real happy to see me, so I just left him alone. After it started raining again, I called DH at work to tell him about it. He got off early to get the calf and mama into the barn. He usually has no trouble with the older cows, but this was a bred heifer with her first calf, so she didn't want anybody around her baby. DH resorted to finding a car hood that he hooked up behind the 4-wheeler and managed to get the calf into the hood and took off with mama running behind. He got them into the barn in record time. I wish I would have had a video camera. It looked like mama wanted a ride too. LOL

A friend of ours calves lots of cows too and he's had some adventures this spring too. The latest had my DH in stitches. The friend always tags the calves right after they are born. He drives between the mama and calf, reaches out of the pickup, tags them, hops back in and drives off. Well, instead of poping the tranny into neutral, he must have hit second because the pickup took off with the dog in the front seat. Get a visual of the pickup rolling away with the dog looking out the back window, our friend running after it, with the cow hot on his heels. (Wonder what the dog was thinking!!) LOL Previously, he's been under the pickup with the cow rearranging the body and doors with the dog sitting up on the hill watching. When he got that old pickup, it was pretty nice with no dents or dings. I think there isn't a straight piece of metal on the pickup anymore. And no grill either.

Radishes are coming up in the garden. DH is getting anxious for that fresh green stuff. He disked and plowed my big garden spot for me, but I have to wait until it dries off a little bit before I plant my potatoes. I always go overboard with the potatoes.

Well, better get back to work. Take care everyone.
Ruth

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!