April 13

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Well, I wrote this long story of my day (2 days ago) and then my computer spooled and i lost it all! i'll try again.

yesterday was an exceptionally wet day and severe storms were threatened all around us. Thankfully we didn't have any of that and they mentioned the H word (hail) which scares the jiminys out of us. None of that either.

On Monday, we planted 200 lbs of our 1200 lbs of seed potatoes. Also planted napa cabbage, several different types of lettuces, strawberries, beets, and broccoli. We are late doing this because of all the rain so far this year, so expect our farmers' markets won't open until June.

We are starting to get eggs, one a day right now....we have 175 laying hens.

We took two barrows (boy pigs that have been castrated) to the butcher yesterday a.m. We loaded them in the trailer the night before and what a chore that was....in the rain no less! They weighed in at 320 and 315 lbs. Good sized. We have 11 pigs left and 6 of them we will breed back. The cows are wondering what the heck is going on and why are they getting a little more attention than they are. :)

As I sit here with the windows open, it is wonderful hearing the birds and smelling the freshness of spring all around. It looks like a sunny day today. I hope you all have a wonderful day and be happy. Kathy

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!