Need info on Bells of Ireland

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I have never grown them.
Any info appreciated.
Thanks!

(Zone 7a)

I have been curious about these, too. There's a flower that grows wild in a grassy meadow along one of our favorite trails that looks just like Bells of Ireland with the green bells (along with with debtford pinks, blue-eyed grass (sisyrinchium sp?), anthemis, veronica sp., oenothera sp., penstemmon, asters, etc.). It also appears every summer in an old mill town further up the river.

However, it has small, deep purple flowers where the green bells appear later. Hortus says that Bells of Ireland (Molucella laevis) have white flowers. Would anyone like to comment on this, too?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Bells of Ireland arrived in Europe (England/Ireland?) some time in the 1500s or 1600s from the Mediterranean area (via Crusades?). Enlighten me on this, too, if anyone knows.

Over a period of 400 years, how Bells of Ireland got all the way from the Mediterranean to an abandoned road through a bulldozed Maryland mill town (1960's) which was later flattened for good in the flood of Agnes in 1972 just amazes me. It's such a pretty and refined flower.

Park's book, Success with Seeds, says on germination, "Sow outdoors in early spring where plants are to grow, or sow indoors, maintaining a temperature within the medium of 55 degrees during germination which takes 25 - 35 days. Do not cover the seeds as light is necessary for germination."

for culture, it says, "Plant 12" apart in full sun or light shade in average garden soil with good drainage. Give moderate watering and monthly feeding (!!?) with a balanced fertilizer. This plant self-sows readily."

This one seems like a good candidate for BloomswithaView's Dead Lawn Society, to me.

THANKS much for the info!
Now where to buy them from?

(Zone 7a)

The following company has the seeds and, for me, has always been super to deal with: http://www.jlhudsonseeds.com/

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Cottage--I grew Bells of Ireland last year--started the seeds in trays and then transplanted out side in part sun... they were ok, considering I forgot about them and didn't water them...

This year I germinated the seeds using the baggie method--didn't take very long at all--and put them in seed trays. They were doing fine, but then I was called out of town on family business and had crop failure (dried out).

I love them--especially for cutting and bouquets. And I will definitely do them again when I am more organized...

(but, my point is--try the 'baggie method' if you want quick germination of them...)

happy gardening. t.

Thanks t. :)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think Badseed has grown them, too, but I haven't seen her in this forum much. She's very friendly, maybe send a DGmail to her??

Take care,
Huga

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

I started them from seed last year too, and transplanted outside and promptly forgot about. Started easily in peat under florescent lights. Once outside, they grew, they didn't exactly thrive, but neither location I put them in was amended soil, or even good unamended soil. Both spots were full sun, and pretty dry. Best thing I can say about the spots would be they were well drained!

The bells of Ireland got not quite knee high, and a bit leggy. Very pretty, although I was not aware they had thorns! Haven't seen any evidence of them self sowing, but they may because it was like collecting seed from a rose bush, so I let them stay!

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Hate to ressurect a dead thread, but I plan on sowing these this coming spring.

Cottage, did you ahve any luck with them? I think I will direct sow them in early spring, as I hear they need cool weather to germinate.

Nick

Yes some of them did germinate and are in bloom now but not very big but we've had a hot and dry summer.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have grown these for at least three years. I had great germination especially after I put the seed in the freezer for a week. And they do seed themselves easily. They have an odd smell, not bad but maybe kind of like bubble gum. They are supposed to a great flower to dry by hanging upside down. The bell turns from green to whitish. The actual flower is a little white thingy inside the green bell.

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Hmm.. freezer huh? Maybe I should sow these in late winter? Any other ideas out there?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.