Lupine

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know the best way to harvest seeds from the Lupine plant. I planted some recently thinking that they are deer resistant, however, the deer did eat down two of the plants. I see the seed pods form after the bloom fades. Is it best to let them dry on the plant or can I save the pods and let them air dry. Do they have to have a certain look to be mature seed, ready for planting?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We always let ours dry on the plant. They turn black when they're ready to harvest and the seeds are hard and dark. I always let a bunch go to seed in the patch and I save a bunch for trading. I've found that if I leave them in a heavy paper bag and bash them a bit, they are easier to separate, but they do seem to need hand shucking even then. The pods can develope sharp edges when dry, so take a little care when you start - nasty paper-like cuts can happen. Plant them out this fall, so they get the cold treatment they need, or keep them in the frig until next spring.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

A couple of years ago I managed to get a mess of the wild lupine seeds. The task of shelling each pod was nearly impossible. I found the help of my food processor worked like a charm. I put the pods in and gave them a few whorls with the blade. The friction causes the pods to split and the seeds fall to the bottom of the bowl. Removing the empty pods was simple and the seeds can be rolled from the smaller chaff bits on a cookie sheet. Makes it pretty simple. Their might be a few pods that don't open but I recycle the chaff back into the garden and the remaining seeds sprout the next spring.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

poppysue, you need to be really careful with those seeds cos theyre really poisonous, so if using a blender make sure its really well washed!

lil

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Lilith,
I had no idea they were poisonous, and my lupines are setting seed as we speak.
sandy

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

take a look at this page about poison from lupines:
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/lupines.htm

lil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.