I took a few pics today...

Springboro, OH

I'm not sure what any of these are. They were here when we moved in. This tree is a pear tree? Not sure what to do about it. It's awfully lopsided.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

This poor thing is more like a bundle of twigs. Not sure what it is or how to prune it? any advice appreciated.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

This one is really pretty.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

Here are a few from the front yard. I haven't done anything with it because I don't like to work in the front with my 3 year old running around. I can't keep a good eye on him. I'd really like to do something with the areas at the end of the drive way though.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

and here is the other side of the driveway. That is a eonymous (sp??) It's big and obviously likes this spot. There is a poor little rosebush growing in the back that you can't even see. Also, this barberry is pretty but not in a good spot. I'm always afraid the kids are going to run into and poke an eye out. I know it needs pruned also, but I need to do some research on how to do it. Any advice welcome!

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

And I guess these are some type of Juniper. They don't look very good though.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Springboro, OH

And one more... I'm not sure what this is. The pic might be a bit blurry. Any idea?

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

The pear is a Bradford pear, a flowering pear. It looks like it has competition from that tree on the left. Is this the south side of your yard? That tree may be shading part of the pear tree. Unless you prune the branches growing toward the pear tree, the pear tree will continue to grow lopsided. The Bradford pear growth is very upright. They have a habit of dropping branches. They are very susceptible to fire blight. If you have roses or other members of the rose family, they would likely get fire blight if the pear trees gets it. It is a beautiflul tree, but it does have a number of negative aspects.

The plant in the second photo looks like a type of weeping shrub. I'd have to see a photo of the flower to tell what it is. However, it seems to be too close to the fence if it is going to grow naturally. You could prune out all the old growth at the base. Most spring flowering shrubs should be pruned after they bloom because most bloom on year old wood.

The one behind the gate looks beautiful. Could you take close-up photos of the flower?

The purple leafed one looks like a flowering pear or peach tree. You might try to train one leader branch and get it to grow into a tree. The barberry could be used as a foundation plant next to the house. I'd be afraid to have it around children. I have never liked junipers. Those look like they need to be watered. Many get to be quite large. The roots extend out quite far. If you are going to remove them, its best to get them out while they are still small. We followed roots under the walkway and as far out as the driveway when we removed our junipers. I couldn't see the leaves on that last plant well enough to identify it. Another photo?

BettyDee

Springboro, OH

Thanks for your response BettyDee. I'll have to try to take another pic of that last one. I do have a pic of the flowers from the real pretty bush, 3rd pic. I'll post that. I have four trees in my rear yard, three maples and this pear tree. I had been thinking of having one or more taken out to allow more sunlight in, but haven't had the heart to do it. I may have to reconsider. Here is that other pic.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

JeniLyn, I think it is a flowering quince. Maybe "Cameo"? a peachy colored cultivar.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I looked up "Cameo" and it is too light colored, but "Texas Scarlet" looks too dark. Maybe Chaenomeles Japonica or Speciosa.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2005 9:36 AM

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

JeniLyn, Do you know what type of maple trees you have? When we lived near New Richmond, slightly southeast of Cincinnati, we had some beautiful native maples growing in our yard. They can get very large.

It is definitely a flowering quince, but I don't what variety it could be. Maybe a local nursery would be able to tell you if you showed them a small flowering branch.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2005 12:53 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.