Chilean Glory Vine

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I got some free seeds of the Chilean Glory Vine {Eccremocarpus scaber} and having planted them in seed trays a couple of months ago, they've only just come up! I want to know if this is a perennial or an annual and if it's worth me putting it outside to flower this summer.

lil

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

Hi Lilith,

Its a perennial but in colder climates it is usually grown as an annual. It can go outside in Summer - no problem. Here just south of Manchester I have one growing outside all year. Heavily protected in Winter it grows up through some old conifers. It gets cut down a bit but comes back again in Spring. I am waiting for mine to flower so I can post a picture at DG.

El Tel

How long have you had yours eltel? How long do they take to flower?

lil

My original plant is now 5 - 6 years old. They ought to flower in the first year (otherwise they would be pathetic as an annual !!!). I'd suggest you pot on your seedlings keep them well watered and a little liquid feed every 2 - 3 weeks. With the weather we are having in the UK at the moment, you could put them outside (just be sure they are out of the wind - not for the chill factor, but the stems are very brittle). If they dont flower this Summer, keep them in a frost free place over Winter and they should start up again in the Spring.

Hope they do well. If you lose them, I expect to have loads of seeds again this Autumn. Let me know how it goes.

El Tel

thanks El Tel, most of my garden's pretty sheltered and things i didn't expect to survive the winter here did so i guess it'll be ok. If i do lose them i'd be very grateful for some more seeds, but ill try and give em lots of tlc!

lil

just an update, eltel, they're about 6 inches tall now, would it be ok to put them out now? theyre growing really fast too.

lil

Insurance is the name of the game Plant some out (well sheltered from the worst the Winter could throw at them), but keep a couple in pots to over-Winter in friendlier surroundings. If both fail, I'll send you some more seed (mine seem to breed like the prverbial rabbits !!)

El Tel

thanks for the advice and speedy reply, eltel! i'll do that, and may well take you up on your offer! i've got 5 seedlings so i'll put 3 out and keep 2 in the house. Do they self-cling or will i need to tie them?

They throw out little tendrils (bit like a passion flower).
If you need more seed, mail me an address.

El Tel

P.S. I've posted a description and picture on the Plant database - showing the one that stays out all year growing up through some old (and slightly descimated) confiers.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 21st 2:38 AM

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey el Tel...mine are up :)
Thanks so much!! I no need to move them into more sun
Thanks
Sandy

thanks for the pic eltel, i think i'll get them out this weekend, :D

lil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.