yellow foliage

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

If iris foliage is pale green or yellowing, what are they lacking in the soil?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What does the Rhizome look like? Do you have photos? Is there any rot on the Rhizome? Have you fed them this spring? Are there spots on the leaves?

What have you done and not done? Are these new from last fall or have they been in the ground for some time?

Enough questions? All I can think of for now.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks doss,
LOL, let me see if I can answer all those.
The rhizomes are fine, I don't have a photo, the rizomes don't have any rot, I fed them today (10-10-10), no spots on foliage, no they are not new plants, they bloomed last spring. I think I have answered them all.
They look very healthy except I think they should be darker green. I have read that I should use 5-10-10, but I can't get it here now. I'll try to get a photo soon. We are suppose to get a few inches of snow tonight. Poor mens fertilizer they say! Maybe it will green them right up!
doss thank you also for posting all your iris photos! So nice to have iris to look at while I wait!
Bonnie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are in zone 4 - did you have an unusual spell of warm weather? They may just be chilled. In that case all you can do is wait and see what happens. My guess is that it will be fine. I don't know cold weather gardening, so you'd have to ask someone else. Does it usually snow on your Iris after they are up?

Zone 4 gardening is another world. I can only guess how Iris behave there. Maybe there is some other low zone Iris gardener who you can email? I don't know what's happening otherwise.

Did they come out of the ground green, and was it a sudden turn, or gradual?

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

doss,
the sun has melted the snow again and my iris look more normal now. Guess they needed that poor mens fertilizer!

Thumbnail by hooked
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They look absolutely terriffic. I'm sure that you'll have lovely Iris. My guess is that they don't expect to be up that high when the snow hits. I'm glad that everything turned out OK.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks, I hate to wish time away, but I sure wish iris were blooming here!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll bet you do. My daughter went to Bowdoin and the winter was torture for her. And the growing season is so short. It's good thing that it's a beautiful place. I sure enjoyed visiting her there. What varieties do you grow?

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Yes, the winters are very long. Oh but the weather is changing and it is beautiful today!
I have mostly older TB. The newer ones don't seen to winter over well for me. I did order some from Argyle Acres, but tried to stick to the historics. I'm enjoying the iris that everyone is posting.
Thanks
Bonnie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That old adage "Grow where you're planted" always seemed pretty dumb to me. I think that you have to plant what grows. And if it doesn't grow there, put it somewhere else. Never did see a camellia in the desert. People here try to grow lilacs - but it doesn't really work. And I'm taking a flyer at a peony. We'll see. We have a huge variety to chose from, but you have the opportunity to create something unique to your environment.

You have an extreme climate. It's great that you have found varieties that are happy there.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I have this old peony that was my fathers and a smaller pink. They seem to do well here, until it rains and they fill up and hang. I purchased a red double last week that I hope does as well. Good luck with yours!

Thumbnail by hooked
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Now that is simply stunning! Wow. I had to stake the one I bought last year. You only have two months to enjoy this one again.

I understand that the single ones don't have to be staked and I don't know if tree peonies are better constructed. But the ruffly ones are sure delicious.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

They are beautiful. I use tall cages, but I don't know of any way to stop them from filling with rain. I guess you just enjoy them while you can. They are very fragrant!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I must have picked the one cultivar in the entire planet that wasn't fragrant. Lucky for me the Iris are filling the air with perfume right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.