Using Preen and Vinca

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Vinca is one of my favorite annuals, but I have been having lots of problems with it the last 3 years. The plants start turning black and either die or just never grow well. I started having problems about the same time as I started using Preen as a weed preventer. Has any one else had problems growing vinca and using Preen? Or do you have any ideas of what could be causing the problem?

Susan

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Maybe the preen is running off and hitting the vinca?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I used preen about 3 years ago and had a terrible time with it. I don't know if I just have a heavy hand in applying the stuff or what, but it burned and killed almost everything it was around. I gave up and just started pulling weeds and grass.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I use the Preen aound all my other perennials and annuals and never have a problem. It really saves me a lot of weeding time. This year, I have just decided not to plant any vinca. I really don't have much space left for annuals, so wnat the ones I do grow to do well.

Susan

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow, I've never had problems either. I thought it just went after the seeds.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The other thing it could be is that I've grown vinca in the same area for many years. Wonder if there is some type of disease that could be in the soil. This year I'm trying snapdragons, Purple Plum Salvia and verbena, so hopefully they will do better.

Susan

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I've never had problems using Preen before. Is the drainage ok in that planting area?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

The annual vinca is susceptible to a soil-borne fungus. It is not recommended to plant it in the same place for too many years in a row. It may be Phytophera (sp?) I can't remember.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know it could be another problem, rather than the Preen. Maybe if I grow something different there for a couple years, I can go back to the vinca. I have grown it in the same place for at least 10 years, so it sure could be fungus.

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.