Bedroom re-do

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I gotta brag a little.

Our mid-70s ranch house has a master bedroom which was described as 12 x 16 when we bought the house. (Note to self - always take a tape measure with you when you are house-hunting.)

The bedroom is actually 11.5 x 15.5. Not that a half-foot makes THAT much difference, but it's kind of annoying to realize you got short-changed on the deal, especially when you have a king-sized bed to squeeze in.

Well for the first four years, we didn't try to do that. Oldest son took that bedroom, and we took what is/was a "game room" off the kitchen and made it into our bedroom. (It's 13 x 18 or so, so it was plenty big.)

DS is now in college and since this game room has its own entrance we decided to switch rooms and finally turn some attention to this "master bedroom."

DS had painted the walls gray, which was fine for him, but pretty boring and it clashed with my bed linens. So after we ripped up carpets and laid oak-look laminate, the next step was painting the walls - I went with Cafe au Lait - a taupe-y color.

I also took a hard look at our comforter set, and decided that 7 years was long enough; it was time for a new set. Talk about sticker shock - most places wanted $200 - $500 for a comforter. Yikes!

I then decided I could re-do the whole bedroom (including paint) for $500.

And I did.

Comforter set $90 (same one at JC Penneys was $185, and I'm not sure it included shams and skirt)
Bedside tables - $17 each (reg. $99 each; wayyyy marked down)
Wall lamps - $20 each
New TV stand - $80
Paint - $30
Rug - $80
Flowers - $30
Curtains - $36
Curtain Rod - $15
Pillows - $60
Total - $475

(Okay, so when I finally track down the desk I want - Target never has it in stock) - it'll cost me another $110.)

But I did it, and I think it turned out pretty good. Here are the after shots

Thumbnail by Terry
This thread has 43 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!