My Journal Wishlist

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I figured that it was obvious that there will be, at some point, a concerted effort to make changes to the DG Journal feature. I've taken part in a number of Journal discussions throughout DGs forums. I, in fact, try to be involved in all discussions about the Journal, because I love it so much! I'd be lost without it. So I thought I'd start my own thread to keeping a running list of the changes I'd like to see to the Journal. I invite others to join me and post on this thread, but wanted to have a place to put my thoughts when they come up.

My first wish is that I'd like to be able to add a plant to my journal from the PlantFiles. It just seems to me that I'm always making an error in spelling and it takes quite a bit of time to look up all the data I need to make a Journal entry. If I could navigate to the PF listing of say Lilium 'Kiss Me Kate' and just click on "Add to My Journal" that would be fantastic! It would then ask you to select which Journal (if you have multiple journals) and then ask which Category you want to add this new plant. Once those were selected it would take you to a Journal entry page and allow you to put in the remaining fields if desired.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Journal Wish #2

When you navigate to a specific Category listing you can either "Prepare the items on this page for printing." or "Add a new item under this category". When you select the Printing option you get this WONDERFUL listing of the category entries INCLUDING the individual entries under each Journal item. I LOVE THIS! However, when I navigate to view a specific journal plant entry I get (among the many other options) the ability to "Print this item (with images)." AND "Print this item (without images)."

I would really, really like to have those options also display/print out the specific sub entries under that plant. Right now if you select either of those print options at a plant specific level you see the Initial Notes on the plant and then at the bottom, " There are 3 entries for this item." You don't get to see the specifics of the 3 entries! When you look by Category at ALL the plants in a category and then ask to Print it you get all the specifics and not " There are 3 entries for this item."

I'm not sure what I'm asking for is very clear.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Journal Wish #3

When you are viewing a specific plant entry and select "Print this item (with images)." You don't get the actual pictures. Basically "Print this item (with images)." and "Print this item (without images)." gives you the exact same thing!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Journal Wish #4

This is a bit out there, but figure it can't hurt to ask.

I wish DG could be my ONLY personal garden database. Right now I keep all the info in my DG journal but then have to create a separate plant database on my computer to use with my label printer to generate permanent plant marker labels. (I use a Brother P-Touch PT-2610). The software that came with my Brother printer includes a database and it will allow you to import data. It would be GREAT if I could export my DG Journal data as a .csv file and then use it with my label printer.

To be completely honest......I actually go to the Tinkers Daylily database and pay to use their "MyDaylilies" feature which is a personal daylily database. This allows me to have all of the specific data on the daylilies I own (hybridizer, year introduced, ploidy, foliage habit, etc). They allow an export of this data into a .csv file. I can then take the .csv import it into my Brother software and then print plant marker labels. I then go into my DG Journal add the daylily to it and then get the RID # to add into my Brother software so that it's included on the plant marker.

Imagine how much more gardening time I could have if I weren't twiddling around with all my "databases"! LOL

Brenda,

I'm with you on your Journal Wish #1!

My Journal Wish #2 - I'd also love to have a hyperlink of the wording in my journal. At http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/vbc/dstartz/27353/ I made a link of the first entry. But to go back and edit that page I have to redo the whole first line. It would WONDERFUL if the link were automatic.

My Journal Wish #3 - a blog-like area for notes that don't necessarily follow the DG journal format. Right now I'm keeping that kind of notes at http://gardeningonrosedr.blogspot.com/ . I wish it were a part of my journal here.

My Journal Wish #4 - To be able to split an entry and put it under multiple headings. I do a lot of propagating and I would like to keep my entries under the date they were done. But when the plant takes root, etc. I'm forced to move it to another area or leave it where it started. Unfortunately that doesn't work as well for me I would really like.

Thanks for your list, Brenda! It really helped me to further crystallize my desires.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I wish the Garden Journal was a little easier to work with.

Anything where you have to have two windows open to complete, 1 for the journal and 1 for instruction on how to make an entry, is way over the head of the standard user.

Perhaps along with the advanced mode, offering a simple mode would help those who want to keep a journal but don't want to spend hours trying to figure out how to do it.
By the time I'm ready to update I have to reread the instructions all over again. I think that's why most people don't keep a journal or don't keep it current.

I don't need a space for the Family - Genus - Species - ETC.
All I need is something simple like the forums:
Let me name the catagory and give me a space where I can write what I did, post a photo and add a date.
Quick and easy.

Cheers
Dovey

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Oooh, I agree with #1, too!

What I would *really* like is some way to input off line, because when the server gets slow and/or my dial-up connection is slow, it's just too laborious. I end up not using it purely for that reason. (I'd pay extra!)

Also, a way to search for genus, family, etc. -- sometimes I just don't know and it's not on the tag or packet. It would be a learning tool.

And I agree, it's not easy enough to enter something, even if you don't fill in every blank. The 'add item' and 'add entry' thing confuses me every time.

Hmmm...you've got me thinking now, so either I'll learn something here or I'll come up with another wish! Thanks for the heads up, Dave!

P.S. Forgot to say, I would also like .csv or other format.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2005 1:57 PM

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Journal Wish #5

When you set up a Journal Item there are Initial Comments. You also put in a start date. I'd like it if when you View your entire entry that it displays that Start Date when viewing all the entries for that item. All the subsequent entries after the Initial one have their dates displayed. Would be nice to have the start date also shown.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Per Terry's request in the Sticky, I have copied all my Wishes to the Sticky thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images