Round Robin with Bulbs

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

THIS ROUND ROBIN IS NOW CLOSED. Thanks for your interest!

Hello,

Is anyone interested in starting a RR with Bulbs? It would be more postage but fun. I have dinner plate dahlia, cannas, hemerocallis, tulips, alliums to start. I think I also have some callas.

YR

This message was edited Apr 13, 2005 4:42 PM

This message was edited Apr 14, 2005 8:55 AM

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I would be interested!

Heather

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

ME ME ME ME!!!!! I would love to do this!

Deb

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Sounds as though this may be a good idea. What bulbs do you think we should include? I'll wait a bit more to see how many people we have interested.

Thanks,

YR

Victorville, CA

Are we talking simply flower bulbs of all kinds? I want in, I want in. Me too. Me too!
-Juli

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Let's try to generate a list of stuff we would like to see.

Here is a beginning of the ones I have already to include:

Hemerocallis
Dinner Plate Dahlia
Allium
Hosta
Cannas
Tulips

Let me know what else might be of interest.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I have giant allium, giant tulips and hyacinths, if you're interested.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I have the miniature daffodils, would like to see some crocus, calla lily, actually any bulb will do!

deb

cool idea!!!!!!!count me in.

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

count me in ty for hosting

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone,

Looks as though we are gaining momentum! Here is the list so far:

Mysticwill – Brookhaven, PA
Irisluvr0252 – Lafayette, IN
Juli64 – Victorville, CA
Bassetmom – Mount Laurel, NJ
Sheran - Northridge, CA
Maineroses – Milo, ME

I think it best if we can start with 10 intererested members, so we have three to go. sounds like fun to me.

Peter

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Yeah! My first RR! I am SO excited!

(Zone 5b)

How would it work? Is there a minimum of each bulb that I need, or a minimum of anything, or just replace what I put in? Should the bulbs be named? Are iris considered bulbs?

Tillamook, OR(Zone 8b)

Can I join?
Raven

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

I would very much like to join.

Cathy

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello,

I guess we have a quorum. I'll send out all the info this weekend because I'm traveling at the moment and won't be home until Friday. To answer soem questions you can review the Round Robin Intro on DG Website, it covers most details.

May I ask everyone interested to submit a couple of items that they would like to include? Here is a start:

Cannas
Dahlias
Tulips
hemerocallis
Iris
Crocus
Hosta ???
Oriental Lillies

This is a start, pretty standard I guess. I have all of these now and will be ready for shipping but will send out the basic info first. What's everyone think about beginning this in the first week of May?

Peter

(Zone 5b)

I could stand to wait a bit longer. My daffs are blooming now but the tulips aren't yet.

(Zone 5b)

I've seen round robins done a few different ways so I'm not sure an intro will answer my specific questions though.

Could you link me to that intro? I looked at all the threads on this forum and did a site search for Round Robin Intro and no results are found.

Edit: tried just Round Robin and those results didn't help either.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2005 9:18 AM

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

How about some calla lily, tuberose bulbs, gladiola, dahlia (I don't have these and would like to)
I have: blue grape hyacinths, iris reticulata, daffodil (several kinds, don't know names), naked lady bulbs.

deb

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

Is it too late for me to join in?
I have daffodils, gladiolus, asiatic lilies, canna and more that I can't remember right now.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

MariaJose might be joining us! She seemed interested but will know soon!

deb

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi, if there is room for one more I would love to join! I love the list already. Did anyone mention calladiums? I have lilies, hemerocallis, and I'll look around when I get home.

MJ

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

i would like to join. belinda

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

OK! We definitely have a quorum now. I will generate the list of everyone interested. If you remain interested, please send me your mailing address, please don't post it here. I will compile the address and interested participants list with a complete list of the bulbs that we'll include.

In order that this doesn't become overwhelming and that it gets to everyone soon we will close this Round Robin on April 15th. I'll have everythign ready mid-week next and send the initial package out on the following Monday, does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Peter

(Zone 5b)

Peter, would you please read my post before you finalize everything? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to make sure I'm clear with what's expected before I know if I can participate.

Edit to ask: Also, this will start in April instead of May?

This message was edited Apr 13, 2005 3:52 PM

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Cheryk_IL,

You will have private mail shortly to answer all your questions.

Peter

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone,

Here is the list of participants to date. This RR will close on the 15th or when we have 15 people participating. At this point here is the list of participants:

mysticwill
Brookhaven, PA

Juli64
Victorville, CA

sheran
northridge, CA

maineroses
Milo, ME

BassetMom
Mount Laurel, NJ

raven_locks
Tillamook, OR

catbirdsue
Arnett, WV

Cheryl_IL
O'Hare Area, IL
Zone 5b

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN

BecksterCa
Willits, CA

mariajose
Lafayette, IN

daylily970
Coshocton, OH

Yankee_Rosarian
Cary, NC

If you will all send me your address I will get the listing ready. I also will post the items we will include/accept as bulbs.

Thanks,

peter

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

FYI - Some basic info to begin.

How would it work?
- The first package will originate with me and I will send it out in registered UPS. Each person will send it on to the next person on the listing which will be included in the package.

Is there a minimum of each bulb that I need,
- I am not sure about a minimum, I think it will depend on the final listing that we arrive at. Each person will need to replace in kind what they remove wiht something similar.

or a minimum of anything, or just replace what I put in?
- I am pretty sure we will choose a minimum, one tulip won't really go well but it is something we can discuss.

I don't think we need to know the exact varietal name, but it might be nice, for me it's not important, I would just add it to my tulip bed or hosta border.

I don't think we will be limited to the list, I am hopeful that we will be able to merely add what is removed in some version, hostas, iris, tulips, dahlia, calla, canna, I think we can be open. I can create a list that is relatively comprehensive, and useful.

Should the bulbs be named?
The bulbs will need identification of some sort. All of mine are in plastic bags with either sawdust or peat moss to keep them dry.

Are iris considered bulbs? I would consider these bulbs but that is not their botanical term.

I hope this answers all your questions. Sorry this took time but I've been a bit swamped in my office to take time to think and address what you needed.

(Zone 5b)

thanks Peter. Now I can tell myself I'm not the only one who needed it :)

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

I would like in also.
vicki

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

If it's not too late I would like to join, but only if I can "cut the line." It's getting pretty hot here already, if it's more than a couple weeks 'til it gets to me you may get bulbs back from me fried.

Michelle

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

ME too

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

hello everyone,

If it is acceptable to everyone, I'd like this package to be sent to each recipient through registered mail or UPS so that we can keep track of it and that we can guarantee it arrives to each person. Is that OK with everyone?

Peter

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone,

This is great, we have lots of interest and I have received mailing addresses from four of you. As of now, this RR is closed, we have 18 people interested and I think that is enough to manage for something like this. Vwetzel, tazzy and witch, this number includes the three of you.

Below is the listing of bulbs that has been suggested, I think it is pretty comprehensive, please make any suggestions and I will finalize this list by Saturday. If possible, we may be able to start this next week and everyone will have new bubls before the summer is in full swing.

Achimines Hot Water Plant
Alstroemeria Peruvian Lily
Anemone Windflower
Begonia Begonia
Caladium Angel Wings Elephants Ear
Canna Canna
Colocasia Elephants Ear
Daffodil
Dahlia Dahlia
Eucharis Amazon Lily
Eucomis Pineapple Lily
Gladiolus Gladiolus
Hemerocallis Daylily
Hippeastrum Amaryllis
Hyacinth
Hymenocallis Peruvian Daffodill
Iridaceae Freesia
Iris Iris
Lilium, All Varieties Lily
Mirabilis Four O'clock Tuber
Ornithogalum Star of Bethlehem
Oxalis Shamrock
Polianthes tuberosa Tuberose (Mexican)
Polianthes tuberosa Tuberose (The Pearl)
Ranunculus Buttercup
Scadoxus Blood Lily
Sparaxis Harliquin Flower
Tigridia Mexican Shellflower
Tropaeolum Canary Bird Vine
Tulbaghia Society Garlic
Tulip
Zantedeschia Calla Lilly

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Again,

Here is the first attempt at organizing a route for the package. I have tried to account for Zones, Planting time, Blooming, as well as prevent a great deal of backtracking acorss the country. Please advise me if there are any objections, you may email me privately.

Thanks!

1 Witch Taylor, TX
2 sheran northridge, CA
3 raven_locks Tillamook, OR
4 BecksterCa Willits, CA
5 Juli64 Victorville, CA
6 Tazzy Sand Springs, OK
7 mysticwill Brookhaven, PA
8 BassetMom Mount Laurel, NJ
9 vwetzel Abbottstown, PA
10 daylily970 Coshocton, OH
11 Cheryl_IL O'Hare Area, IL
12 catbirdsue Arnett, WV
13 irisluvr0252 Lafayette, IN
14 mariajose Lafayette, IN
15 maineroses Milo, ME
16 Yankee_Rosarian Cary, NC

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I also have giant alliums.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Bummer, I can't believe I missed this by hours! I just signed up today. Guess I will have to wait for next year!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

zarebeth--keep watching! these RR happen quite often!

deb

ps: welcome to DG!

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone,

We have a final list of all the participants and the mail order has one change so I will post that this weekend. There have been some basic questions so I thought I would post the answers for everyone:

1.) If you can name the variety of the bulb you are including, that's great but if you only can tell us it's an iris and the color, that will be fine as well, this RR shoudl be fun, not an exercise in botanical rigor.

2.) Whatever I remove, say five bulbs, I replace with five. This is a guide though. In January I did something similar and when the package came to me I removed some tulip bulbs, ten to be exact but I replaced them with five dinner plate dahlias, these are enormous bulbs and often bloom three or four flowers to a bulb so I only replaced the ten with five of the dahlias. That is not the usual process though, if I take ten, I replace it with ten of something, It seems only fair to me, but they don't have to be the same type of flower.

3.) If you only take one bulb out, you only need to replace it with one bulb, you don't need to add anything further unless you so wish. As I mentioned, this is for fun and there is no RR Police out there, just a sense of the Golden Rule, which is one of the main reasons I participate in these.

4.) If you have bulbs in the ground that you wish to trade, that is fine, no need to purchase anything further. I would be sure to store them and label the bags. I woudl follow the recommendations for winter storage, either with a bit of peat moss or dry sand so that they do not rot while making the trip. That has been a problem in the past. You can check to see what the wintering over directions are for the bulbs if you were to take them form the ground each season, that will give you the medium for packing. For example, I store my Platycodon in fine ground peat moss each winter.

5.) I think this Bulb RR is a bit unusual for all of us so for the mailing I would like each of us to send the package so that it may be tracked from one person to the other. Please send the RR to the next person using either Registered/Certified Mail or with UPS, this will make the package easy to track, manage the delivery and let each person know when it is coming to them in advance.

6.) Please post the Mode and Tracking number here on this thread for all of us to see, it's more fun this way, and please post it the day it is sent out from your home if possible. I'll provide the first set of details so that we can follow the model.

I think this covers the "Rules" for the RR!? Please let me know if I am missing something. The package is being prepared to leave my home this week, I hope that is OK with everyone. I have the list of addresses and will notify you if I do not yet have yours or cannot find it in the exchange.

Thanks and glad to have everyone participating.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

rubbing hands together gleefully...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.