How would you handle this problem?

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a five foot fence around my veggie garden for rabbits, etc. I also have 4- 30 ft. bed of flowers and ornamentals. My neighbor has 17 banty chickens who can't get into the veggie garden, but are wrecking havoc on the beds which are freshly tilled and full of small plants. I guess they are after bugs and worms.

The farm sets about 75-100 ft behind our property line and the chickens are over here several times a day. He said earlier this year that he would get rid of them but cannot catch them. He figured they may carry some disease which affects the 200 sheep he raises in a pasture on the other side of his barn.

I do not want to shoot them, as I would then have to bury them. Does anyone out there have a similar problem? Is there a diplomatic solution?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

The easiest way to catch chickens is while they're roosting. He may not be able to get all in one nite either, unless they were closed in and unable to escape. Why kill them, put an add in a paper, someone may want them and even offer to come catch them. John.

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Yup! Try Freecycle or see if there is a farm animal rescue near you. You could also try powdered fox or coyote urine to scare them away from your beds. They're looking for grubs and worms and also the newly tilled soil is great for them to bathe in, you need to get them out of there now or it will only get worse, as your plants get bigger they'll become self-cooling chicken beds! Good Luck

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't want to kill them. I am just so frustrated with them. I farmed for years and just do not think it is right to shoot someone's livestock ( even though he doesn't want them.) But I do not want them either.

Thanks for the Freecycle tip. We have one in our area. I will offer to post it for him as he doesn't do computers, if he will go along with it.

For the time being, I am using a broom to scare them away. I won't be able to get fox or coyote urine until my next trip to the big city. Our local farm store closed last year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.