Transplanting Cucumber Seedlings

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I planted 4 "Muncher" cucumber seeds in peat pellets on Saturday and one has sprouted already. My question is can cucumbers be transplanted into a larger cell before final transplant into the garden? In Chicago we usually wait until after May 15th to put out tenders.

Thanks
Toni

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Only if you can transplant without disturbing the tiny roots very much. Since you planted in peat pellets this is probably very doable. I would use a pot large enough to take it thru to planting in the garden and just be careful not to over water.

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Toni -- We're just west of you, I think. We usually plant our cukes about the last week in April to set out in the middle to late May. I've found that if we leave them in the cell packs too long, they get stunted and may not do as well when we plant them in the garden. Tim

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you Leaflady. I guess I should move the cuke to a bigger pot since there's a 1" root already coming out of the bottom of the peat pellet.

Erehwontim .....Yes you're about 45 miles away from where I'm at. That's a beautiful farm you have there! So much space compared to my little city lot! I hope I didn't start the cukes too soon because the other three are also sprouting. It's okay though I only need one or two for myself since hubby can't eat 'em.

Thanks for your advice
Toni

This message was edited Apr 10, 2005 9:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.