Preserving Old Magnolia Tree

Trenton, NJ

I have a large Saucer Magnolia (H25' X W35') in my backyard. It was doing just fine, producing a magnificant flower display every early spring, until last year, when it flowered barely at all. Just by happenstance, a friend stopped by with a tree cutting expert, who looked at the Magnolia and said it was old, big, and time to cut down. Now, needless to say, he had a vested interest in recommending that. But, it made me wonder whether the tree can be salvaged. This spring, it has multiple blossoms in the top tier (an improvement over last year), but three large branches are dormant and don't look like they're going to do anything. I'm looking for advice on what to do. Should I cut off what look like the dead parts and hope for the best? I would really love to save this tree if at all possible.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

What did the leaves look like last year? Saucer Magnolias are usually pest free, but it doesn't hurt to look. Look at the under side of leaves, new flower buds.

Another possibility. Late frosts can kill the emerging buds. Compare freeze dates from last year with others. It's hardy to Zone 5, but doesn't mean that the flowering buds are safe to that zone. Take a small branch to your local extension county agent for analysis. He has access to university expertise.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My southern magnolia must be thirty five feet tall or so. It is years and years old. Some years it blooms like crazy and some years it hardly blooms. Just depends on the winter and such as well as late freezes.

Trenton, NJ

The leaves were generally undersized last year. This year, apart from buds that have already blossomed, some appear healthy (nice,moist green flesh) and others are dessicated on branches that are also brittle and dry. There can be a dried out branch with an extension that is healthy. I've not been able to detect any pests.

I think the late frost theory may make some sense. Two years ago, we had a very late frost, and many buds did not blossom, although some did.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Frost could be one answer; magnolia scale (which was epidemic in some areas last year) could be another; squirrels girdling branches might be a third; herbicide or other disturbance might be a fourth. Your tree will not get as large or old as Rylaff's southern magnolia, but it can live a long time and get larger than it is now. Your friend's "tree cutting expert" probably was more expert in the cutting part than the tree part, so avoid him.

Guy S.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Down the street from me is an extremely old, huge saucer magnolia. Three years ago, lightning struck the tree, splitting it right down the middle. The half that came off was carted away. The other half is now blooming and healthy, as if nothing ever happened. I would hate for you to lose a beautiful old tree that might have years of life left. The local extension will be able to tell if there are disease or pest issues.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2005 7:53 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.