Growing Roses in Michigan

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

For those of you who have given up on roses please don't because there truely are carefree roses that thrive in Michigan.
A good place to start would be your local bookstore where you can buy a copy of "Roses for Michigan" by Nancy Lindley (owner along with husband Roger) of Great Lake Roses near Ann Arbor MI.
(check your library if you don't want to buy it)
Another tip for you novices is to resist the temptation to buy those cheap bagged roses from the big box stores.
Thier roots are usually severly chopped off, they are usually severely dehydrated and often they are virused and many times simply fail to thrive.
"You get what you pay for" usually applies when purchasing roses too.Consider purchasing your roses from the reputable online/mail order rose vendors like Pickering Nurseries or Roses Unlimited. (my favs)
Groups of easy to grow roses to consider: Rugosas (come in all sizes), Albas (one of my personal favorites), Canadian Explorer Roses, Morden, Parkland and Pavement roses, Meideland shrub roses, many of the Old Garden Roses and select roses in the modern shrub class.
Resist the temptation to buy the all too available Hybrid Tea roses which tend to be tender and disease prone.
While Dr. Griffith Buck roses are very popular they have heavy Hybrid Tea lineage and tend to not be all they are cracked up to be. I have grown at least 20 varieties and so far I'm only impressed with Apple Jack, Prairie Princess and Carefree Beauty.
Being selective in your purchases can lead to success!
So lets go rose shopping! :))

This message was edited Apr 5, 2005 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I totally agree, I've known Nancy and Roger for several years they are two of the most knowledable rose people in the country. If you get a chance get by their nursery (its in Belleville 10 minutes west of metro airport).

I have about 60 roses right now shooting for 75 before the seasons over. I really like the David Austins.

Paul

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Are there any rose varieties that the deer don't like to eat?

Loon not that I know of. :-(
You will have to spray your roses with a deer repellent

Paul I like Austins too and grow quite a few.
Heres some of the more hardy, easier to grow Austins for those of you just getting started:
Constance Spry (very fragrant!)
Heritage (very fragrant/highly recommend)
Mary Rose
Winchester Cathedral
Redoute
Chianti
Eglantyne
These are old Austins but they are good for beginners. Theres quite an extensive thread on "English Roses" on the rose forum for those of you would would like more info on David Austin Roses.

'Constance Spry'

This message was edited Apr 7, 2005 8:12 AM

'Heritage'

'Mary Rose'

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I have Heritage and Eglantyne both are some of my favorites.

Paul

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Those are gorgeous. My husband hates roses so I don't have a chance at growing one in my yard.

Bancroft, MI

I have a few roses in my gardens. My favorites (seem to flourish the best) are Tamora, red Meideland and a rugosa rose (I think it is called 'hansa' - red/violet with lots of thorns).

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Cottage Rose......I agree with you on the David Austin Roses....Two years ago, the Master Gardener Assoc. I belong to here in Iosco County invited Nancy Lindley out to our group to speak. She gave a 3 hour lecture really got an education on growing Roses...and I bought her book, Roses For Michigan as well. For those of you who live close to Wayne county, I highly recommend you going out to Great Lakes Roses, Nancy also does little talks on various tips on Rose growing. I would suggest you go to her website and find out when she is doing this. It varries from week to week.....

www.greatlakesroses.com

Deann

This is a picture of Nancy, and members of my MG club...

Thumbnail by deann

Oh I usually do go to hear Nancy speak every year at our local rose society.
She is a very good speaker and has a slide presentation too. For those of you up north she speaks annually at the Cherry Blossom/Valley? Rose Society (or something like that) based up near Traverse City. Nancy and Roger also host annual workshops at their nursery.

BTW speaking of Nancy and Austins... they field grew a bunch of English roses one year and the only ones that survived were: Constance Spry, Heritage and Mary Rose (if I recall right) and the only Austins they sell... but I believe they added Molineux to their Austin offerings last year. Is anybody growing Molineux? That is one I haven't tried yet. A few more Austins that do well for me are St. Cecilia, Teasing Georgia and A Shropshire Lad.

'St. Cecilia'

hemlady how about just one???

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well I do have one. I am not sure of its name, but it is a climber and a beautiful pink with a nice fragrance. My mother gave it to me for a mother's day gift so my husband could not refuse me that one. LOL

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Finally found the picture I took of my David Austin Heritage Rose.....

Thumbnail by deann
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Cottage Rose........I bought this Rose probably 5 or 6 years ago, before I started to take gardening serious.....I am sure it came with a name, but have no clue as to where the tag went or what it is called......Can anyone else help me identify it.....

Thanks

Deann

Thumbnail by deann

Sorry deann...don't know what rose that is but very pretty!

hemlady...well you need a partner for that one lonely rose ya know?! ;)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

It looks like it might be "Bonica"

Paul

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

I will throw in a picture of my Joseph's Coat from last year.

Thumbnail by NjMcMullen

another

Thumbnail by NjMcMullen
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh I NEED that one! so pretty

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

How did all of your roses make out during the winter.
I lost about 3 hybrid teas to winter kill.
I have all of mine pruned.
I'll post a run down of how all of my faired as soon as I get a few extra minutes.

Paul

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Paul Im just starting to see new growth-so i will be making my list of survivors in a week or two. I sure hope they ALL make it!

I spoke to someone who lost hers this winter too.. She pruned hers down as well.. I did not prune mine, and I am starting to see some greening at the base.

And mine was under a faulty gutter that poured down ice and water all winter.. heh.. I think it is a hardy little fella. I am not a fan of the heavy pruning some people do.

Nick

I rarely lose roses to winter kill but lost more than a few this year. I think it was due to the lack of consistant cold weather and frequent warm ups.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I rarely loose daylilies and have lost 5 this winter.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

I never, ever prune in the fall. It only stimulates growth, and Nancy Lindley will tell you that in her book GROWING ROSES IN MICHIGAN. I also mounded up dirt around the bud union so it was completely covered, and then laid down straw around them. I never ever use those cones.

I am still accessing my roses to see which have made it through the winter. I am seeing alot of growth so far. Even my JFK is coming back to life. Imagine that.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Deann
Right on....never prune roses in the fall in Mich.

Paul

hemlady that is very interesting. I think my suspicions might be right. Alot of people think the cold kills the roses but actually consistant cold and snow cover is better for plants than spells of warm weather which we experienced this winter. I have been growing roses for 25 + years and like I said rarely lose any and those are roses with no protection other than the snow. But this year I lost about 3-4 roses. Haven't checked my Daylilies yet. Most look okay but I haven't looked closely at all of them yet.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i didnt prune mine till just this week! :)

According to Nancy Lindley you are suppose to prune your roses when the Forsythia blossoms have faded.
Also:
~ prune out winter killed and damaged canes
~ prune out canes that cross or go towards the center of the bush
~ gradually pull back winter mulch and remove by late April
~ give your roses a shot of fertilizer once you are done pruning
~ if leaves had blackspot last year spray with a fungicide when spring pruning is completed

Heads up:
There is a new white sport of Heritage called "Rose Marie".
And for you Knock Out fans a "Double Knock Out" will be available in 2005

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

The latest on fertilizing roses.
Wait unitl the soil temp reaches 60/65 degrees F.

The plants won't uptake any nutreints until that temp is attained.

The rules are ever changing and more research is done.

Paul

But can't you just put the fertilizer on the soil at your convenience Paul, say before the soil warms up, and then the rose will receive the nutrients when the soils warms up?
I personally like to do the prune and feed together.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i did one kind of fertilizer high in the middle number and i spread it on everything before we got the first april rain up here in B.C.
A DL(daylily) grower told me to use that kind of fertilizer on my daylilies so I spread it around.

I dont really baby my plants-the strong will survive!
NOTmartha's way for me! :)

I feel the same way...survival of the fittest. I usually feed my roses (after they leaf out) once a month through August. I typically top dress with Rosetone first thing in the spring. I tried the alfalfa tea thing but it seemed more bother than it was worth. Couldn't see any difference. Also when I'm feeling ambitious I will foliar feed a few times during the growing season with a seaweed/fish emulsion like Neptunes Harvest or Sea Rose. The main thing is to get you soil tested so you know what to use, other wise you may be feeding your plants what they don't need.
I laugh when I read about some peoples elaborate rose feeding programs.
Man I don't have time for all that fussing! Roses are heavy feeders but you don't have to give them everything but the kitchen sink.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

The thing is if you put the fertilizer down when the soil is too cold it will dissolve, and pass thru the soil before the plant can asborb it.

Paul

I think fertilizers like Rosetone which are made up of organics (vs. chemicals) take awhile to break down anyway. Not sure but think thats how it works.
Oh and for the real lazy gardeners theres time released fertilizers like Osmocote.
Hey Paul I think that Osmocote only works when the soil is warm too.
Do you have a soil thermometer?
What do you feed your roses?

This message was edited Apr 27, 2005 3:08 PM

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes, I have a soil thremometer I bought on ebay, it comes in handy.
I've been using the Bayer 2in1 for the past couple of years, its a 12-18-6 with a systemic insecticide added. I've had no insect problems whatsoever since I've been using it.
It's also not harmful to earthworms.
I put a capfull along with a handfull of epsom salts on each bush every 5-6 weeks.

This Saturday is Rose Day America, at each Lowe's store across the country ARS members will be on hand from 9-1 to do seminars on roses and to answer questions.
I'll be at the Southgate store.

Paul

Hmmmm on the Bayer systematic not killing earth worms???
I thought it killed anything that it comes in contact with.
That stuff is mighty toxic.

Even though I try to stay away from chemicals I use and highly recommend the Bayer Insect killer spray for Japanese Beetles and Rose Chafers which we have in abundance. Its the only thing that I have found that works for scarab beetles. I cannot keep them under control with hand-picking because our numbers are too high to keep up with. Traps are not recommended because they actually attract more Beetles to your property. Milky Spore only works if everybody within a 10 mile radius uses it too.
TIP: Beetles are less attracted to dark colored roses.

So about when does the soil warm up to 60/65º Paul?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.