We were discussing Tecomanthe over at the Jungle...

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Aug 24, 2006 10:14 AM

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, Ron! Have never seen anything like this. LOL There's a lot of plants I've never seen!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Gorgeous! We have one along a hogwire fence and it is breathtaking...blooms twice a year, but the vine is not bald...it has lots of leaves...Tecomanthe venustra.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm thinking about buying this from Logees. Anyone have cultural info? Minimum temp, dry or wet, sun or shade, type of soil, etc?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I am probably not much help, but: Mine grows in whatever soil it can get in a lava field, so it must have shallow roots, it gets about 150" of rain per year...not every day...sometimes only once a week, sometimes every day for a month, I fertilize it when I remember and it gets filtered sun, a couple of hours of full sun in the afternoon in the summer. We never go below 55deg. in the winter and rarely above 90 in the summer, always a breeze. It blooms on old wood, so I keep the new growth down to a minimum. There are self sterile but one of these days I will try an airlayer or two.

Hope this helps...

Carol

Mars, PA

I need help, too--cultural info. I bought botht the tecomanthe dendrophilia and the Meg's Roaring Creek from Kartuz. They both arrived healthy--smaller, young plants. I set them out in morning sun, filtered afternoon and here it is Sept. 15th and they have never bloomed. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to bloom? They are gorgeous when they bloom; I sure hope I don't have to wait a couple of years. Any cultural help-tips appreciated. Liz

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Carol-
Would you say they need the same cultural conditions as the green jade vine? They sure even look like the same kind of leaf, and even same kind of stems...
-Taylor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.