Full Shade Coleus?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I know some (rarer) are full sun and most are partial shade but are there any full shade Colues?
George in San Antonio

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

George, I can't really answer your question. About all I can tell you is the best way to find out is plant up some pots of each coleus and put them is different locations and see how they do. That's what I did last year. Now that we have this forum, you'll probably get an answer much quicker than waiting to see how the plants react. LOL

~julie~

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I was told by a nursery owner that the darker coleus plants are better in shade. One of the varieties I bought at the Tulsa Flower and Landscaping Show was actually bred for shady conditions.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Coleus in full shade tend to get very leggy. Dappled shade is best. In your area, provided it is bright (even if full shade) you can probaly get away with it. YOu may have to pinch back the plants every so often, though.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes the original coleus is full to part shade and pinching is required. The old fashion dark coleus will be good in shade, but several are being bred for sun that I consider very dark.
If it's dark and has a round stem, it is shade hardy.
If the stem is square, it is sun hardy. But will need more water than the shade coleus.
Sidney
Edited to say original coleus were all part to full shade.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2005 12:16 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugar,

Who figured out that "round" and "square" thingy?

Hap

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

The darker the shade the less color you will get. Most will revert back to green and will not be bushy. To get the colors you need to get some sunlight.

TA - From what I was told, that is only true with the full sun coleus cultivars. The cultivars that are bred for shade do not lose their color.

Happy, do you know different? I'm going on my own experience and plants. I know the garden center people think I'm crazy checking out their stems.
Carla which one was bred for shade? Have you posted a picture of that one?
Also my dislectic brain put it backwards on my first post about old fashioned coleus.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugar,
I heard it for the first time here. Never thought of looking at the stems. Sounds OK to me. Or we can go back to the ol' standard............if it dies, move it next time.

Hap

That's always plan B.
Sidney

I posted a picture of it. It's titled "Dark colored burgundy" or something like that. I can't claim to know if the guy who told me that had a clue what he was talking about, though. I'm just repeating what he told me. :)

Carla
I wasn't doubting you, just think many nursery people are not near well enough educated and generalize. In other words, I'm not sure he really knows what he's talking about either.Are you going to keep yours in pots, or plant the in the garden? Mine act like I've given them steroids when they get in the ground.
I am anxious to see your collection alltogeather.
Sidney

Sidney,

I honestly don't have clue one about what I'm going to do with them other than plant them in dirt. I'm not even sure if I'm going to plant them together or in a variety of places. I am a random gardener. Everything is an unknown until it's in the ground - and even then, it's subject to change. :) What may be in one place today may be in an entirely different bed tomorrow.

Can you imagine my husband asking me when I'll be done gardening? What a funny man he is. :) I'll NEVER BE DONE.

lol

Answer for DH, is when you are planted also. He is quite a comic.
Sidney

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Sugar, I read that thingy about the round and square stems on one of the Coleus web sites. Can't remember which one it was, or which was shade and which was sun.....and you think you are Dislectic! *sigh* But it's out there in cyberworld somewhere.

Now I've run out of steam for the day, so it's feed the Poopers, settle in the recliner for an evening of dozing and watching TV.
Pati

Ps Say goodnight Gracie

Sweet calm evening Pati.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.