Underground Power Lines...

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Unfortunately, the electric guy that came out this morning didn't have a whole lotta info for me, so "to DG!" :)

We have a newly constructed home and all of the utility lines are underground. Supposedly, the electric lines are 2 ft under, but the land grading was done after utility installation, and it's possible that several inches were skimmed off in that process.

I would like to plant a Redbud tree about 5' away from the electric line, but I am concerned about the roots eventually causing trouble. Power lines installed around existing trees try to miss any space within the tree's dripline. Needless to say, the electric line will be well inside the redbud's dripline.

How far down would the roots likely go? Am I analyzing this too much? Any advice would be wonderful...

Thank you!
Jacci

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Ummmm, I'm thinking....trying to remember. Code here in CA is 36" deep for 110 electrical lines. I'm thinking it's even deeper for you since you probably freeze there and they would want to keep them from heaving. The lines are enclosed in a conduit (maybe even an insulated one in your area), so the tree shouldn't bother them at all. If you are still concerned, call your city (or county) building inspection department and ask to speak with an inspector. They will have info on your development, probably still handy since your home is new. You can also call your city or local arborist, they should be helpful with this, too. You can also plant it with a root barrier installed. That will help keep the roots pointed away from the conduit. Which redbud are you planting?

K

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi, I just had the utilities marked on my property so I can plant trees - all services gave me specific instructions to dig and plant at least 18" from the marks. Root growth generally isn't a problem because eventually they will all have tree roots growing around them. KWIM? There isn't as big of a root invasion type issue w/power and gas lines (or cable TV) as with sewer pipes because the utility lines are smaller. (?)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I guess they're smaller, but the real reason is because sewer and septic systems carry "vitamin enriched water". Very old sewer lines are a problem because the joints were just pushed together, new ones are sealed so we rarely have problems with trees. Naturally, you want to use your head and not plant an aggressive-rooting tree in an area where it might disturb things.....

For instance, when planning designs I won't place a Willow within 100+ feet of a septic system. I would rather err on the safe side!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, they did tell me the lines are in a conduit. Thanks Kachinagirl and cc :) Not sure yet what particular one I'm planting, but hoping to go as small as I can resonably go. I have a 30' spread available between houses, but a touch smaller would be better. Hoping to plant this guy around Arbor Day... Sounds like 5' is plenty of room. The best is also going to be built up a bit, so that gives even more clearance. Going for it.... thanks!!

Hugs :)

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Check to see if Cercis 'Oklahoma' is available in your area. It is a lovely tree that would fit your space perfectly. In spring you have purple/maroon flowers and the leaves are heart-shaped and very glossy. It does not like wet feet tho', so treat it like a Crape Myrtle (plant on a mound to keep the crown out of the wet soil) and it will do very well!

K

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/16149/

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow! Thanks so much, Kachina :) Very sweet of you to include the link...

I like that one... nice, small size for my small garden :) Will definitely make a note of it...

Thanks again,
Hugs

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

You are most welcome, glad to be able to help! :~D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.