under lights vs. sunshine

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

This is probably a very silly question but now that I seem to have almost a week of warm sunny weather predicted, would it be helpful to my new seedlings to be outside or in my tiny greenhouse vs. keeping them under lights in my kitchen? This is assuming I can protect them from burning up in the sun. It seems like it would be helpful and more natural to let them be outdoors as long as the weather is cooperating. Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

It all depends on what you are growing. Some plants need direct lighting for several hours a day. Others would burn. Go to the Plantfiles located here at Dave's Garden and check out each plant you have. Some may need to be outside others in the house under lighting.

Thanks jordung, will do.

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

In general I think your plants will benefit from being outdoors. The main problem I would foresee is burning the plants because sunlight is for more intesnse than florescent lighting. White spots on the leaves is an indication of sunburn. I'd put them out with heavy shade the first day and gradually reduce the shade for about a week and they should be able to withstand full sun. It would be fine to bring them in every night. If you are going to leave them out you should get them used to colder nights a little at a time. You will probably have to water more often. Tim

Thanks Tim, that makes sense. We're already getting some overcast skies TWC didn't predict. I have a few pieces of shade cloth and will rig something up and keep an eye on them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.