Evergreens to Cover

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello all! I live in atlanta...have a front yard that slopes down to the house...full sun most of the day. I have lots of "groupings" of various tress/bushes and perennials, a very natural sort of look. Also a small waterfall and pond. I recently removed all the pine straw (too many snakes, etc hiding) which I had been using as top dressing to cover bare ground. Would like to put in some sort of creeping evergreen (fairly fast growning) that does not get too high and won't break the checkbook. We recently had a bunch of rain and I had about 2" of mud in the bottom of my pond :-( . I did build up around the top of the pond/waterfall area with some more stone this weekend to help defer water. Anyhow, does anyone have suggestions of what I could use?
Thanks so much for your input!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, that pine straw was your best bet. Many people pay big money for it. Remember that snakes will hide in groundcover plants too, and most snakes are beneficial and benign anyway. But if you look at several local nurseries, and go to the Atlanta Botanic Garden, you probably can get some good ideas about what might work for you there. Just stay away from things like kudzu and Japanese honeysuckle!

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.