THIS N THAT

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda..........Meijers had Organic Black Dirt on sale last week....$1.00 for a 40# bag.....I bought 30 of them........I was out today raking up the straw around my Roses, which is close to my house, and the ground is still froze.....I mean you can dig down about 4 inches or so.....your closer to the water then me, so your ground may be thawed out more.....I bought some Painted Daisy's and they are sitting in my greenhouse ....I still don't trust this weather Brenda......If it were me, I would wait till at least May before I start to transplant any perennials....just my opinion....

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Deann,

Well, I read your message too late. I went up to AuGres with my son today and transplanted all my perennials in my raised bed out in front of the fence by the road. It was warm today and the ground was not frozen at all. I was also able to plant two white dogwood trees and one ornamental cherry tree. I mulched the trees well and put a big tomato cage around them. I saw evidence the deer had been in my garden and rabbits too. In fact I found two rabbit legs!! EEEEwwwwww!! Not sure what happened to the rest of the rabbit but I'd say he won't be eating anything else out of my garden. :) I sprayed all my plants down with Liquid Fence. I had already put Preen down. I phoned the electrician in Standish and he's coming next week to put electric wire around the garden. It is about 14 x 45 and is raised with cement cottage blocks around it three high. I am so discouraged. I sure hope the deer don't eat what I put in today. I tried to plant stuff they don't like..........lavender, russian sage, monkshood, salvia, etc. We'll see I guess. I have tons more plants at the city house I can dig up if they eat them I guess but I'm getting too old for all this hard work. :) I have a lot to learn about gardening in the country I guess. I welcome any and all suggestions. My next chore up there is putting down mulch. Not sure what kind deters deer..........if any of them do. What kind do others use who have deer?

Brenda

Battle Creek, MI(Zone 5b)

Rabbit legs!!!!!! I found a whole frog in my pond yesterday. I am glad I don't have deer. I wouldn't know what to do with their legs! My mom has an electric fences for her horses. The deer charge right through it. I hope they are installing a different kind for you.
Kip

Hancock, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,
I live in the U.P. (Hancock area), out in the country about 30 miles from town. We're in a designated "deer feeding" area by the DNR. whoopee :(
Actual herds of 75-100 in the fields just chewing away on old winter grass and weeds. I can tell you stories....they are so hungry this time of year, they are munching on the corners of our cedar house! I can't have a normal garden, everything has to be in containers a few feet from the back door so I and the dogs can protect them. But, there are some things even these beasties won't eat though: currants, white spruce, mugho pine, oregon holly, lily of the valley. Good luck all!
Maureen

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess it will be a learning experience for me. I'll let you know how the Liquid fence stuff works. You are supposed to reapply it once a week for three weeks so they "pattern" away from your garden area. I sure hope it works. I've put a lot of sweat into building this garden and would hate to have it all be for nothing. I may resort to mulch and garden cement statuary. :) I'll have to do some reading up on how to garden with deer and rabbits. I feel bad for them that they are that hungry. Hopefully, the bushes and things in the woods behind our house will soon provide them with some food.

Brenda

Lansing, MI(Zone 6a)

Hey Brenda ~~ I have found that a bar of Zest soap, plain original flavor works to keep the raggits out of the garden. I think Bambi and his ilk could find their way through a minefield!! I have started getting old produce from the city market and tossing it out in the woods to keep them interested in somewhere other than the lily beds. A bag of corn and the occasional carrot helps too. They don't seem to be too interested in the iris or hostas though. Glad to hear about Lily of the Valley, it's my birthday month flower and I just love the scent of them. I may have to plant some around the house.

I'm taking a day off today . . . am having trouble with my eyes . . . can't see myself going to work. heehee

Y'all have a safe day!
Barb

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

some varmint ate my purple n white stripped crocus and im madder than blue blazes!!! where did dh put the 16 guage-its time to get it ready for varmint shooting! grrrrrrrrr

wait all winter for a flower and CHOMP its gone!

sigh

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I have thought about putting food in the woods to keep them out there and not in my garden by the road but I fear if I put food out there it will just attract more to the property. I'm hoping my electrician found time to get out there and put the electric wires around it. Between that and spraying with the Liquid Fence I'm praying I'll be able to grow some flowers. I noticed the deer ate all of my grape hyacynths up. I have plenty more here I can transplant up there. It multiplies so fast. No sense in taking anything else up till I know the electric fence is up and I can spray some more. I took up my favorite peonies. I sure hope they're still there when we go up this weekend. :) I may take up hunting myself before this is all over with. :)

It is supposed to be nice weather. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Torquay...........Deer love Hosta.....so if I were you I would get some Liquid Fence....you can get it at Meijers....I found it cheapest there.....and it really works for me, as I live on 200 acres....

Brenda....you should have enclosed your flower garden inside of your picket fence.....the deer will not go inside of my picket fence and I don't even have a gate on mine.....

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning Deann,

I wanted to keep the inside yard for the dogs. My Juliet will tromp through my flower beds here and I'm sure my son's beagles would as well. I did plant some trees inside the fence but that is all I want there. I did not want to tempt the deer to try to jump over the fence and damage it. I'm hoping the electric wire along with spraying the Liquid Fence will do the trick along with selecting flowers they are not supposed to like to eat. It will all be a learning experience I guess. :)

It is supposed to be a nice weather weekend. I plan to dig up some more perennials to take up on Monday. My son and I are going up just for the day and then come back. My husband will stay with my Mom and watch her. We're having a lot of work done on the house and hopefully we can get Mom a room of her own up there soon so she can go with us.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Everyone must be busy in the gardens, hardly no postings in Michigan forums........going into the 60's for the weekend.....bet everyone will be busy playing in the soil.......

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I've been busy digging up perennials and taking them up north and transplanting into the garden there. I also bought 6 maple trees and got those planted. I've been using the Liquid Fence and so far it seems to be working well at keeping the rabbits and deer away. Yesterday I dug up my climbing hydrangea and a clematis along with some other stuff. I also painted my trellis white. We're coming up this weekend to work. The weather has been so very nice but it sure is dry. We could really use some rain. The poor perennials are so dry when I dig them up. Some April eh? Where are the showers that bring May flowers?

For those in the Detroit area, Blocks will open the end of April. They are located on Middlebelt and Eureka roads. They have the nicest and cheapest prices for flowers around. I visited a few local nurseries yesterday and was shocked at the high prices of perennials. I am glad I started gardening when I did or I couldn't afford those prices.........I'm talking like $12-$15 for common perennial plants.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Brenda

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Blocks is one of the best plant nurseries in the midwest.

Best prices too.

Paul

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda.............Hey, can I have some of your Russian Sage.......I remember it last summer in the front of your house, you said you would dig some up for me in the spring.......if its not too much trouble.....I may stop by to see what you have done so far.........glad the Liquid Fence is working........

Deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You can't beat Blocks for their corn in the summer. People flock from all over for that.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Woops, double post, don't know why????

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Deann,

I'm sorry. I forgot about your request for the Russian Sage. I divided it and have replanted it already up north. I had just enough to go across the back border of the flower bed. When it multiplies I'll be sure to save you some. When I go to Blocks if they have some I'll pick you up a pot....OK? They have lots of small perennials with affordable prices. I'll be curious to see how much they have gone up this year. I expect it with the higher price of everything else but they grow much of their own flowers in their 50+ greenhouses. I just noticed that Goods Nursery is gone. Did anyone every shop there? It was out on Ann Arbor Trail and they used to carry a lot of unusual perennials. I guess the father died and the son didn't want to carry on. Now there is just Superior and Plymouth Nursery on that stretch. I used to hit all three on a day out shopping.

Anyone else want to share their favorite places to shop flowers?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda..........I was thinking of coming to Detroit with a few of my MG members to Blocks when they open. Last year, my friend who lives on your street got me a bunch of stuff there....could not believe how cheep it was....hanging baskets for only $7.99 I believe.....

Thanks for the offer on the Russian Sage, you do not have to do that, Breanda I can buy that myself......just thought if you had a whole lot then that would be ok.....

I have hurt my back here during the week, so not sure if I am gonna make it out to your place today or tomorrow....will see how the drugs take, but right now it hurts just to sit down at this computer....got a nice warm weekend instore for you to plant thought....

Happy Gardening!

Deann

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Hope you back feels better Deann. I know how you are feeling. I have back trouble and I hurt mine the other day too. Been on a heat pad for the last 3 days. Take care and get well.

Cindy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

speaking of pain-i went to the tanner for my 3rd visit and I am red like a lobster and of course my buns are toasted to overdone!!! it hurts to walk and sit-skipping this weekend!! ouch

dea and cindy hope your backs get better fast

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dori. It feels a lot better than it did 3 days ago.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i been outside all day-just what the doctor ordered!! oh ya!

i can even sit down tonight! ;) LOL

cant wait to get outside tomorrow and work!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.