question on salt around the peremiter of our garden

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

DH wants to put some salt around the garden to keep the bermuda grass from creeping in, is this ok, Iknow it kills what ever it touches, for years. but how far away from the garden should we put this, the bermuda is creeping in and every year our garden gets smaller and smaller cause we don't want to plant in the bermuda.

kathy

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy, It seems to me that Bermuda grass propagates by seed so I think salt may not be very effective. You might check with your local extension person for other solutions. Tim

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Salt won't kill Bermuda...been there, done that.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Your kidding, it won't kill bermuda? I thought it would kill anything, and burmuda spreads by runners, fearcely I might add, it also seeds, but it never gets a chance to seed cause it 's kept cut, so it's spreading by runners.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've actually poured it on Bermuda that is coming up in my paved driveway (4 inches thick by the way)
Kicked it back for a week or so..but it's back stronger than ever now.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

well, aint' this discouraging LOL what kills that nasty stuff anyways, LOL

kathy

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Try Round-up. Spray it on the growing grass wherever you want it gone. It kills the roots too.
We don't have Bermuda grass, but we have Quack grass that has same growth habit. It works on it.
You can spray it anytime, just don't get it on your good plants.
You can also wipe it on with a foam brush. We do that in strawberry patch to kill thistles.
Have a great day!
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.