Bone meal, lettuce and radishes....

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

A few weeks ago, I amended part of my garden, adding compost, peat, perlite and bone meal. I planted strawberries there and about a week ago, I decided to plant some lettuce starts next to them. Not much foliage development, but one or two of them are already trying to bolt. The ground has been wet, temps dry so I was scratching my head over this one when I realized bone meal provides phosphorus. Before realizing my mistake, I amended more soil, also adding bone meal.... I was hoping to plant radishes and carrots there, but I'm afraid radishes will immediately bolt. I have another area that hasn't been "amended" yet, but that is set aside for runner beans. Is there anything I can do?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I talked to someone over at the local nursery and she said that she always adds bone meal to her soil when amending as it's good for root development.

As far as lettuce goes, how much sun is recommended? Where I have them now, they will get full sun until about 4pm so I wonder if that's too much.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm not an expert but the lettuce I grew this year (way down south) got sunshine from the morning until about 4 pm. When I transplanted the lettuce into the garden, I dug a bigger hole than normal and used Miracle-Gro garden soil as the base and filler and it did very well. I didn't use bone meal for my lettuce but I did use it for my peppers. Good luck - Flip

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I know some plants tend to bolt if they are started too early and exposed to temps too low early on. I'm not sure if lettuce falls into this category or not.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I went to check on them today and they were covered with little tiny SLUGS! Those little jerks were munching up a storm on my poor little plants. I put down iron phosphate a couple of days ago but how can the slugs eat that if they live on my plants eating the leaves one by one. I HATE SLUGS! The ones I found got to meet the bottom my shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.