Indoor Bonsai?

Why is it, everything I read says you can't grow Bonsai indoors? I realize that in winter conditions, it may make attempting such a thing VERY difficult, but apart from that, what are the perils?
I bought a nusery stock Dwarf Japanese Juniper, yesterday, and with some minor branch trimming, and wiring I have a beautiful semi-cascading style Bonsai. Is there NO way I can grow this indoors, year round?
Today, it'll be nub trimming time! If I seal the cuts with wax, will this be enough to prevent fungal infection, and will bark still grow into the wounds?

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

if you had a VERY sunny window.and kept it in the frige in winter you might succeed.the problem is,this tree needs winter conditions to live,and 4-6hrs direct sun per day to thrive.
i have a ficus b ive had bonsai indoors year round and its doing very well.there are also other tropicals that do well as indoor bonsai.

Derwood, MD(Zone 7a)

The best indoor bonsai I have had (and I have killed many) is the Texas Ebony. It has been in the same pot (with many repottings) for about 25 years. I keep it under lights during the winter and outside in nice weather. If the leaves fall, just keep watering it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.