Today is the day.

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

It is going to be nearly 60 degrees again today! I am heading out to rake up the mess, and pull out the weeds that are already getting a head start.

My Day Lilies and Irises are a few inches up already. Do you all think I should mound some mulch over them?

Also, I plan on transplanting a few pines today. Anyone out there with any tips or tricks?

Nick

This message was edited Apr 7, 2005 5:30 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I dont have anything on my iris but my daylilies are staying covered till about april 18th or so-depending on the forecast

thanks, Not.. I am thinking about picking up a few more bags of mulch monday.. Just in case the temps drop down a bit.

Well, i went out and planted them.. My ground is perfect right now.. The frost seems to be gone, at least 18 inches down. Nice moist soil.

It makes me anxious for more planting, but the rest of my trees don't come until April 22nd.

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

I found daylillies benefit tremendously from mulch. Hi I'm a professional landscaper. The mulch holds in moisture which daylillies seem to relish in while growing. The mulching helps tremendously in keeping weed populations done.

Thanks Frank.

I will head out this afternoon and mound them up.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Frank,

What type of mulch do you prefer: I have always used cocoahull mulch in my city garden but wonder if the smell would attract the deer at my up north garden. If you have a deer and rabbit problem, which type of mulch would you recommend. Are there any that repel critters?

Thanks,
Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Brenda.........in my humble opinion, since I live in the country, and in the same county as you do......*S*.....I really don't think any particular mulch is going to make a difference.....I think what you did with the Liquid Fence is going to work......I would spray Liquid Fence on my stuff every 3 weeks in the spring......It really worked for me last year Brenda......

Good Luck....and hope to see you soon and look at what you brought up to plant....Call me and let me know when you will be up for a weekend...

Deann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.