Repotting Brassia Orchid

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I purchased a Brassia orchid yesterday, or let me say, what I think is a Brassia orchid (no tag of course). It has a very long bloom spike with buds spaced out the entire length. It needs to be repotted as the roots have grown way up and over the edge of the pot and are basically everywhere. How does one go about repotting one of these? Growing Medium? Do I try at attempt to place all the roots in the medium? Its currently in what appears to be a 2.5" plastic pot. How much bigger should I go on pot size? Can they take about two hours of direct morning sun outside? Any and all info on this orchid will be appreciated.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Do not attempt to repot it while it's in spike. After the flowers have faded, wait until a new shoot develops and startes to produce roots of its own (this will be obvious as new green roots develop)..that would be the ideal time to repot. Don't overpot...I would not go over 5" from a 2.5" pot (that seems very small to me for a blooming Brassia). I generally placxe as many roots in the pot as possible...more than likely, new roots may well grow outside the pot. For now, mist the roots frequently (not the entire plant). Brassia can take full morning sun but needs light shade from about 11:00 am till about 4:00 pm. I wouldn't place it outside until after the flowers have passed. I would use a medium-fine bark mix (with liberal perlite) as the roots of Brassia are relatively fine. Having said all that, I don't have any Brassia but I do have intergeneric hybrids with Brassia in them (Beallara to be precise) so the principles should be the same.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Todd,

My Brassia is in full bloom!! It is everything I had hoped for! Thanks for the info!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Can you post a pic? Our local Home Depot just brought some Brassia in, but not meaning to be a snob, I find the colour too drab, at least on the variety they were selling.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I would be happy to post a pic, but my dog decided that the camera cable would make a good chew toy and I have not bought another to replace it. The one I bought is more yellow than the cream color that I am used to seeing. It is AWESOME!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The ones at our Home Depot were decidedly pale green..your's sounds much nicer.

Parkersburg, WV

Todd,

I've got a bunch of brassia and I love 'em. They are the coolest plants to bring into work and watch/listen for all the comments (ooooh how cool, neat, check out the spider-shaped flowers, etc.) I've got a "shooting star" one I got from "Cat Orchids" in Ohio this past summer that just started blooming recently. Pale green in color with mahogany markings. 2 branches are spiking and both are blooming! They seem to be pretty easy to grow! Our Home Depot seems to carry nothing but common (VERY common) phals.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's one I bought this summer 2011

Thumbnail by KimchiMonger
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Pic #2 of same plant.

Thumbnail by KimchiMonger
north coast nsw, Australia

Yes orchidman out local nurseries and hardwares just stock Phals mainly.
Its nice. Maybe not a straight Brassia though? I like them but think alot of there flowers stink. hehe! my b.f hates them inside and sneezes but any other orchid his fine with.
I find there pretty easy to grow and sort of like Oncidiums...they do end up growing out of the pot though but thats ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.