Lot clearing challenge.

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

I hope someone here might be able to help me out . I'm considering buying a lot that is just shy of 6 acres, densely wooded (few large pine trees & oaks, mostly native shrubs 2-3 inches in diameter, approx. 15 ft high). I would want to selectively clear it out (preserve most of the pines/oaks). I'm trying to figure out what it would take (as in type of equipment, price, skill level, etc.) to clear.

Is this something that could be cleared with a Bobcat (or would a dozer be required)? If a Bobcat would work, can it be rented/operated by me, a lay person...or should this be cleared by a professional? Any suggestions/past experiences/price info would be appreciated. thx

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

We cut down much larger trees (mostly dead) pretty often. If you're talking 15' tall and only a few inches in diameter, you can do that with no problem. Unless you really want the roots and stump out, you can just use a chain saw to cut them flush with the ground and be done with it. Just be sure to cut it very flush or you might hit the leftover stump with the mower later on. Sounds like a Bobcat type unit would get those small shrubs out though - if you want the stump and all gone.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hugo, how awesome!!!!!
The people at Nations Rent connected to Lowes are very helpful. I have rented equipment from them to include a bobcat. They will help you figure what you need and even give instruction on how to use the equipment. Will be much much cheaper if you do it, but I have cleared land before and it can be time consuming.

Hey Lisa. Thanks for the info. We'll see how this all goes. I'm trying to get an idea of cost and all that comes along with this. The area in question is in Milton. Navarre is just too crazy right now. Nothing affordable here. I'll keep you posted on my progress with this. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Was it expensive to rent the bobcat from them?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It was pricey but not as pricey if I had paid someone else to do it. It was a while back. I did a lot of clearing ahead of time and then used the bobcat and then finished up. Do as much as you can prior to that, then figure out exactly what you need the bobcat for. I have looked at land before up in the Milton area, also Freeport, Baker and even Laurel Hill. It would be so nice to have some real land to plant on. The only thing is, it is about five degrees colder there.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Try to identify what you have before you play Paul Bunyan. Some of those understory plants might be much more rare or just as interesting as the large trees, and critical elements of your local wildlife habitat. And do the clearing a little at a time with your chain saw, not heavy equipment. Root damage and soil compaction are what turn wooded lots into sunny lots!

Guy S.

Yeah, the colder is not good. The Gulf Coast waters really help keep things warm. It's like a huge solar heated water container near by. It keeps radiating heat enough to help keep the coastal areas a bit warmer than further inland.

This area is dense/solid with shrubs (wild native hollies and pines). There is also a lot of thorny blackberry there too. I suppose I could clear as much as I could but it seems so hopeless to do by hand. I mean I can't even get to the back of the lot to see the back side. I tried to and was on all fours at different times trying to crawl under and climb over things to trek through there. I gave up and never made it after getting snagged a few times by the blackberry vines. I even considered a heard of goats loose in this area to do their job. Maybe I'll do that after clearing the holly bushes.

Lisa,
How do you think the temperatures in Milton will compare to Navarre? I hope it's not too different but I do expect a difference.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hugo, go for it with some rented small equipment and do it in stages. A weekend rental of a bobcat (or similiar) isn't bad and will produce results and save your back.

ps, my sister lived in Milton so I have an idea of all the understory...

This message was edited Apr 4, 2005 9:44 PM

Darius,
Yes. I agree with you. A bit at a time until I'm done should do the trick. I have some ideas on how to approach this. Mainly ideas (like your suggestion) brought on by many suggestions from here on DG. After moving here from Colorado we never did do a house-warming party. Maybe we should do a "Lot clearing party" and invite all DG'ers to the lot for some clearing fun. Some how I don't think I would be able to sell that idea. lol.

Does your sister still live in the area? If you ever come down to see your sister you should shoot us an email. Maybe we can meet up for lunch or something.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2005 10:30 PM

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It does make a bit of a difference. I imagine Milton would be along the lines as Crestview. There is about a 5 degree difference. Trish is in Crestview and considers herself as living in 8a. Since you and I are so close to the gulf we are in 8b.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the invite, Hugo. She currently lives in Kissimmee and is selling her house to move back up to this area somewhere, maybe just off the Appalachian Ridge in TN.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.