Anyone have a picture of "Sugar Blues" or "Silverado" ?

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm going to plant "Sugar Blues" and "Silverado", both tall bearded varieties.

I'd love to see a picture if anyhone has one.

I've grown Irises before, but never had named varieties. The one's I do have were transplanted last year and didn't bloom. I also have some that the chickens ate right down to nubs ever time they tried to grow. I will be moving those this year, but don't have much hope for them blooming.

I know you have to watch the debth you plant them, and I think I did it correctly. Is it common for Irises not to bloom the year they are transplanted?

I'm hoping to establish some named varieties this year.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You can find pics of both in the PDB here at Daves.

SUGAR BLUES - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/36676/index.html
SILVERADO - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/36498/index.html

Bearded irises should be planted so the tops of the rhizomes are level with the soil surface or slightly below. If they are planted too deeply, they may refuse to bloom.

It is quite common for bearded irises to take a year or two to settle into a new location before blooming. I typically only get 20-30% bloom on first year irises (first spring after planting the previous summer). The earlier in the season you plant your irises and the longer your growing season, the better chance you have of first year bloom.

Laurie

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the help laurief.

Is it safe to plant bearded Irises when there is still a danger of frost?

How early do you plant in your zone?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I wouldn't plant beardeds until all chance of frost is past. Here in zone 3b, I try to get all beardeds in the ground no later than the end of July. I can stretch planting to mid-Aug if necessary, but any later than that and I'll start losing significant numbers over winter.

Laurie

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Laurie.

I figured that I had to wait until after all danger of frost.

I may get some started in pots. I bought a few "boxed" ones and hate to keep then in those boxes very long.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Potting is an excellent strategy. It'll give them time to establish strong root systems so they'll really take off when planted in the garden later.

Laurie

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks again Laurie.

Do you have a few favorite online sources for Irises?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That depends on what type of irises you're interested in. I no longer purchase modern TBs because they don't do well in my garden, but they are the predominant type available through commercial growers.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I guess I was thinking TBs. What kind do you grow now?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

In my garden here in northern MN, I have the best luck with dwarf, median, and historic tall beardeds and with several of the beardless types. Many of the modern tall beardeds aren't tough enough to handle my climate and growing conditions without considerable babying, which I'm just not willing to do. Even the TBs that do grow well for me usually require staking during bloom, and that's a bother. I prefer more trouble-free plants, which is exactly what the other types offer me.

Laurie

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Laurie,

I'd love to learn more about historic tall beardeds. Can you direct me to a website?

I like the idea of trouble-free plants too.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Absolutely! Visit the website of the Historic Iris Preservation Society (HIPS)

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/level1/TOC.html#anchor741010

Please don't think that just because I have trouble growing modern TBs in my garden that you will, too. There's good reason why TBs are the most widely popular and widely grown of the iris types. If you enjoy them, by all means grow them. In fact, grow ALL the iris types. There's no better way to extend iris bloom throughout the growing season than to fill your garden with their wonderful diversity!

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Tree_climber, I'm in a warm zone but my 'Sugar Blues' started blooming today. I had to fight a bumble bee off to go and smell it. Although you don't have to get too close.

I don't think that 'Sugar Blues' photographs very well. It has a sheen that photos don't seem to get. I'd grow it for the fragrance, if not for all the other wonderful things about it. Sturdy stalks, a lot of buds, and a very long bloom period. Can't ask for much more, except wild coloration. That it doesn't have.

But you're close in zone to Laurie. So take heed when you get my advice as to Tall Beardeds. You can't kill them here if you tried.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Doss.

Your description sounds wonderful! Especially the frangrant part ..............

Sounds like a made a good choice .............. well, I should say my 22 year old son made a good choice. He was with me when I was shopping, and he noticed the "Blue" one. Something about blue that attracts that Y chromosone, I think.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been noticing that blue is the thing right now. Every blue Iris I've posted, people love. How nice that your son is interesting in gardening.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Well actually the one that noticed and got me to buy the blue Iris isn't interested in gardening ......... ;-( But he does like to look at my gardens.

I do have a 14 year old son that is interested though ............. He's starting his own daylily garden this spring. 1 out of 3 interested in something I love .... not bad I guess.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's great. My granddaughter loves to snap off the daylily pods. It's her very favorite garden activity. Yesterday she went out with a friend and pulled the neighbor's Ivy off of my fence. My daughters are in their mid-30s but my younger one has been having me help her with her garden. We are having a great time.

Wish I could send you the scent of 'Sugar Blues' while it's sitting in the sun today.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd sure like that aroma, coming in my window .............. today's the first day I have actually opened windows and the doors to our screened in porch. I'll just pretend I smell the Irises. ;-)

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

The name sounds like it has a great smell!

deb

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

'Sugar Blues' is a plain jane blue Iris - except for it's sheen. But you can tell it's 'Sugar Blues' instantly when you smell it. It's not like anything else.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Will have to add that one to my list!

d

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sutton's has it listed as a reliable rebloomer down to zone 4. Getting better all of the time. While some people like rapidly spreading Iris, I like them when they don't get too big too fast. That means I don't have to divide too often. Sugar Blues is pretty well behaved on that account. It's just right.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I don't mind sharing, but it is hard work to divide them, especially if you have 100's of them!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's 'Sugar Blues' - not quite open but lovely anyway. It's blooming next to 'Harvest of Memories'. I love Blue and Yellow together.

Thumbnail by doss
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I love that blue color! Would match the shutter on my house!

d

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Picture of Sugar Blues! I love color combination of Blue and Yellow, especially when the yellow is on the golden side.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the yellow Iris. It's reblooming in November here -- actually it blooms all winter long. Sutton's says that it reblooms very reliabily down to zone 4 I believe. It's another very simple Iris with a great fragrance and terrific stalks. It actually could be my very favorite. And it's inexpensive. You can get it at Superstition for $3.00.

Thumbnail by doss
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

doss,
Do I have it straight? the picture of your yellow iris is 'Harvest of Memories' ...........

It's lovely .... is Superstition a website?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, do you have eye candy waiting for you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rickt103

You can send them an email and get their catalog for $1.50 I believe. It contains the prices. There is a list at the back of the catalog of $3.00 Iris.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/1418/

I've posted this photo a thousand times, but I'll post it again. It's one of my favorites and I think you'll see what I mean about stalks. It's tall also - about 36".

Thumbnail by doss
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, that's an amazing photo, I can see why it's one of your favorites.

I'm off to check out the links you posted ....

Edited to add ................. I don't have enough time to enjoy that site right now ... wow!
I've bookmarked it and will return.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2005 7:57 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's sugar blues with immortality and harvest of memories. I know - garish, but that's me. You can't walk within 10 feet of them without them just making you swoon from the fragrance. And all rebloomers. Nothing fancy - just great plants.

Thumbnail by doss
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful combination and photograph.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

But smell-0-cyber is what we really need to enjoy this trio.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are lucky you picked two early season Iris. Silverado bloomed today so I thought of you.

Thumbnail by doss
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Your picture is so beautiful, I can almost smell it ................. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.